Geneva Airport to Chamonix

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
aoshi0514
aoshi0514
5 posts
Jul 10, 2014 - 2:46 AM
Hello all! I will be arriving at Geneva Airport but need to proceed to Chamonix. What is the best way to get to Chamonix? I am reading that public buses leave out of Geneva center and only "special" shuttle buses are available at the airport.
Arno
Arno
12087 posts
expert &
Jul 11, 2014 - 8:07 AM

Hi aoshio514,

There are several options. You can travel by train as suggested by the timetable. It's not the quickest way to get there, but it's a beautiful route. Also there are private bus transfers, which will work if you're with a group. One of the companies offering this is geneva-chamonix-transfers.com. And there's a scheduled bus service operated by SAT.

Last modified on Jul 11, 2014 - 8:08 AM by Arno
jackdebear
jackdebear
58 posts
Jul 11, 2014 - 1:11 PM in reply to aoshi0514
I believe there are 3 private buses leaving from the airport. They like you to reserve and if you can commit to a day/time it's a good idea. However, if it's not a busy busy day for them, and you are willing to wait, you will more than likely get a seat on one. They will drop you at your hotel. By the way local buses in the Chamonix valley are free for tourists. At least they were when I was there. Your hotel should give you a pass for 2 days but in practice the drivers just recognize tourist and don't ask for it.
aoshi0514
aoshi0514
5 posts
Jul 11, 2014 - 1:18 PM

Thanks. I fear that it will take a long time for the shuttle buses to go around and drop people off at their specific hotels, etc. I arrive in Geneva at 10 am and the SAT bus schedule is 12:15 PM. This will arrive at Chamonix train station at 2PM. Trip costs 32.50 CHF. The bus has many stops along the way.

For private shuttle buses, I think the price is almost the same. However it will bring you to your actual destination.

aoshi0514
aoshi0514
5 posts
Jul 11, 2014 - 1:21 PM
Where are the shuttle buses and SAT bus located? Are they easily accessible from the arrivals area?
jackdebear
jackdebear
58 posts
Jul 11, 2014 - 1:35 PM in reply to aoshi0514
I couldn't say exactly where the buses leave from in the airport but it's not a huge place and I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble finding them. I'm a borderline moron and I managed it. The only company name I can recall is Alpybus. Chamonix isn't huge either. My hotel was one of the first they came to but I can't see it taking a terribly long time to make the rounds. The buses carry about a dozen people. Many traveling in pairs and groups.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019