UBER/taxi from Geneva station to Novotel?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2018 at 4:14:03 #819139

Hi,

We are a family of four (two kids and two parents) traveling to Geneva from Paris this month. We will reach Geneva Cornavin Station at 9:30pm on Sunday.

Our hotel (Novotel Geneve city center) says it is about 10 minutes by walk from the train station. Is it safe to walk with two kids around 9:30pm at night? If not, is UBER a good idea at that time? Also we are in USA and hope to mostly use credit cards as much as possible due to unfamiliarity with new currency but if we just get EUROS are we good or should we also get CHF ?

Thanks for the help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 December 2018 at 7:18:53 #900169

Hi Dchanpa, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I don’t know about Uber but a taxi would be possible. Personally I’d walk though, as the hotel is indeed very close to the train station. There is a red light district on Rue du Berne, but even that is nothing extraordinary in Geneva. You can safely walk there.

Credit cards are widely accepted but there are exceptions in smaller stores or for smaller amounts. I wouldn’t get Euros but rather Swiss francs. That’s the local currency. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfranc.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 December 2018 at 0:35:31 #900170

Euros tend to be accepted in the larger cites and tourist destinations. You get change in CHF, and, you do not control the exchange rate.outside those places, you’ll sometimes find places that will take Euros. Be prepared for a discussion in the local language.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2018 at 2:02:39 #900171

Thank you all very much.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2018 at 0:32:24 #900172

It’s about a 7 minute walk.

Make your way from the exit of the French platforms (West end of Cornavin station) to the east end of the station, walk east along Rue de Lausanne (follow the tram tracks) then turn right down Rue de Zurich

(1960man – user of Cornavin since …1960)

I don’t recommend using Euros

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 December 2018 at 1:06:29 #900173

<<“Make your way from the exit of the French platforms (West end of Cornavin station) to the east end of the station, walk east along Rue de Lausanne (follow the tram tracks) then turn right down Rue de Zurich”>>

Looks good to me. I used to walk that same route , then on to the lake when I stayed at the NOGA Hilton ( now Kempinski) from 1980 until about 2002. Easy, safe walk.

If the Novotel had been there, I would have used it. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘UBER/taxi from Geneva station to Novotel?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.