Germany-Switzerland pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2010 at 22:05:46 #804048

Hi there!

Need your advice on the passes to get for an upcoming trip in Dec. Hope you can provide some guidance/recommendation.

My husband and I will be arriving in Munich and will be there for a few days before heading to Switzerland, then return to Munich to catch flight back.

Here’s the initerary:
    4 Dec: arrives in Munich
    5 to 7 Dec: Explore Munich and nearby cities
    8 Dec: Munich to Zurich
    9 Dec: Zurich to Laax
    10 Dec: Laax to Interlaken
    11 Dec: Explore Jungfrau region
    12 Dec: Interlaken to Munich

Should i be getting the Germany-Switzerland pass? And do i have to compliement it with any Swiss pass?

Thanks for your help in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    21 November 2010 at 7:06:05 #831951

Hello floppyhazel, and welcome to our forum! My advice would be not to purchase a Eurail Germany-Switzerland Pass. I suspect that your journeys in Germany won’t be long and therefore expensive enough to make this a cost effective solution. Moreover, the Eurail Germany-Switzerland Pass would still require quite some extra payments. Urban transportation (for example in München and nearby cities) isn’t included. Buses aren’t either, so you’d have to pay extra for the bus trip between Chur and Laax. The Jungfrau railways are not for free, but discounted. In all, I think this plan is more economical:

– purchase a local card for your public transportation in and around München. An overview can be found at this page;
    – purchase a regular train ticket for the trip from München to Zürich;
    – use a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass for you stay in Switzerland from December 9 until December 12;
    – purchase a regular train ticket from the Swiss border (as the Swiss part of this trip will still be for free with your Swiss Saver Pass) to München.

Regular train tickets between München and Zürich/the Swiss border can be arranged for through the Swiss timetable. Fill out your destination, your arrival station and the correct date. Next, pick your preferred connection and click ‘Fare/Buy’. You’ll then enter an order process. In most cases, regular train tickets can be ordered along with your Swiss Saver Passes as well.

Only exact calculations, which would require you to know exactly which trips you want to make, can provide a definitive answer to your question. Instructions for this can be found in our rail FAQ. I hope this helps a bit, though. Good luck on your further decisions and feel free to come up with other questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2010 at 9:41:36 #831952

Thanks so much Annika for your detailed explanation! Really appreciate your help!
    🙂

• The thread ‘Germany-Switzerland pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.