Getting Glacier Express class upgrade online

• milst19
    Participant
    7 posts
    6 October 2022 at 7:22:11 #828479

Hi all,

I have a Swiss Travel Pass for 2nd class, and we are planning to make a reservation for Glacier Express Classic but for 1st class.

I wanted to check the possibility for upgrading the class online for one route only, but when selecting the route ”Zermatt” to ”St. Moritz” I’m not sure if the offered routes on the website are actual Glacier Express or just basic train routs? It doesn’t say or at least I don’t see it anywhere.

If someone could help with this, I’ll be very grateful!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2022 at 7:59:21 #947604

Hi milst19 and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

To be sure to travel via the Glacier Express route, enter the via-station Andermatt. Trains labelled PE (Panorama Express) are Glacier Express trains: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere.

You can reserve your seats here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets.

Note, that to be able to travel in the 1st class, you need a 1st class pass or ticket AND a 1st class seat reservation.

Read about the class upgrade here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/2nd1stclass.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

milst19
    Participant
    7 posts
    6 October 2022 at 8:20:31 #947605

Hi Ildiko,

Thank you for the warm welcome and your prompt answer!

When I enter the ”Andermatt” to ”St. Moritz” in SBB Route-Specific Class Upgrade it does show me the PE label, however it shows that route is 4.5 hours long, but I’ve read that Zermatt – St. Moritz is 7.5 hours long route and we want to take that one.. am I browsing the correct route on the SBB?

When I choose the ”Zermatt” to ”St. Moritz” it doesn’t show the PE labelled options.

Thank you once again for your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2022 at 8:36:33 #947606

Can you tell me please your travel dates, so I can have a look? Would you like to travel from Zermatt to St. Moritz?

Thanks,

Ildiko

milst19
    Participant
    7 posts
    6 October 2022 at 8:49:19 #947607

Our plan is to take the Glacier Express on 31.12. which is still far away, but there are only few available seats left for 1st class reservation, so that’s why I’m rushing into it; on the other hand, we already bought the Swiss Travel Pass but for 2nd class.

I know that you can buy/see the price for the class upgrade only two months in advance on SBB website, I just wanted to see the possibilities for departing trains for that day and aprox. price for the upgrading (not for that date as it is unavailable but for closer dates), and was left confused as I saw that there are none ‘Glacier Express’ marked trains at any month (sep, oct, nov, dec) for the Zermatt – St. Moritz route on SBB.

The route which we would like to take is Zermatt to St. Moritz with Glacier Express Classic.

I do hope that my answer and question is not that much confusing!

Thank you once again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2022 at 9:21:05 #947608

There’s a maintenance break from late October to mid-December, which is the reason it was unavailable for those dates: see the operation dates at https://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere.

There is a winter timetable between 11.12.2022 and 13.05.2023. The Glacier Express leaves Zermatt at 08.52 and arrives St. Moritz at 16.37. There is one more Glacier Express, that leaves at 09.52, arriving in St. Moritz at 17.37. I’ve attached a screenshot, where you can see the first one. the one, that is labelled PE, is the Glacier Express.

I’ve also attached a picture of a class upgrade for you. For more details, please check this one: http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/class-upgrades-supersaver-class-upgrades/class-upgrade.html.

milst19
    Participant
    7 posts
    7 October 2022 at 13:22:10 #947609

Thank you so much for each and every detail, and the efforts you made finding all of the information and providing to us!

We ended up making a 1st class GE reservation for 31.12. at 08:52 am departure. However, what we managed to overlook is timetable for our train to Zermatt that day, as we are staying in Zurich and supposed to catch early morning train – but SBB is showing that the earliest train is from 6am, making it to Zermatt at 09:14 am, thus us missing our GE ride.

Is there still a slight possibility that the SBB winter timetable will be updated in following months and offer even earlier train rides?

If not, I am kindly asking for transportation suggestions (other than private car hiring); I’ve checked the Flixbus timetable, but they also arrive at Zermatt after 9 am.

So sorry to bother you with this many question, but we are desperate to find a solution from this mess we got ourselves into.

Thank you once again for all of your answers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2022 at 14:51:16 #947610

Why not travelling the night before? Or simply skip the Zermatt part and travel to Brig from Zurich directly?

I think you have asked the same question in the SBB Community forum.

milst19
    Participant
    7 posts
    7 October 2022 at 15:06:06 #947611

Yes, that was me on the SBB Community forum 🙂 still waiting for the replay tho.

We are thinking of possibility to spend the night in Bern and then catch the morning train with whom we’ll make it on time for departure train.

Skipping Zermatt and traveling to Brig is also okay with us, but do you know if that’s allowed if our ticket states ‘from Zermatt’? I’ve also written to ask this to GE support, but still no answer.

Thank you for all of suggestions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2022 at 15:21:11 #947612

Of course you can board later, you can simply change your seat reservation with the Glacier Express contact center so they keep the seats free for you.

There is no point in heading from Visp to Zermatt in order to travel the same route back a couple of minutes later. But, giving Zermatt a miss is a shame. You should have stayed there 1-2 nights.

milst19
    Participant
    7 posts
    7 October 2022 at 15:25:31 #947613

Ah, but they stated on their website that ”Due to our terms and conditions it is not possible to cancel or change your reservation.” so not sure if changing the reservation is possible – but I do hope they will be open to save our seats for one station.

We’ll definitely spend more time in Zermatt next time – and plan things more carefully! 🙂

Anna
    6384 posts
    7 October 2022 at 17:28:53 #947614

Hi milst19,

The same Glacier Express leaving Zermatt at 8.52 am will call at Brig at 9.18 am. You can board the train in Brig without having to make another seat reservation.

Regards,

Anna

milst19
    Participant
    7 posts
    7 October 2022 at 17:43:48 #947615

Dear Anna,

Thank you so much for confirming this!

Thank you all in this thread for your patience and help, we’re so happy and looking forward to our Swiss tour!

• The thread ‘Getting Glacier Express class upgrade online’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.