Glacier Express Andermatt to Chur?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 14:00:36 #816800

Is it possible to get on the Glacier Express at Andermatt to Chur? And what is the best way to get to Garmisch-Partenkerchen from Chur or Lauterbrunnen?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 17:18:18 #889011

Hi Mimzyr and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, you can book from Andermatt to Chur on the Glacier Express. Reservations must be made and can be done so here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/glacierexpress/p ackages

Are you traveling on a rail pass in Switzerland or on point to point tickets only?
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses

It would be about 2 hours quicker to Garmisch-Partenkerchen from Chur than Lauterbrunnen.
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 12:30:26 #889012

Lucas, yes we are traveling on rail pass. Does our pass include the glacier express or do I have to pay extra for it? And 2 hours quicker is good, we are actually staying in Wengen for 4 nights and thought it might be nice to take the Glacier Express to Chur. I’ve read that Andermatt to Chur is a beautiful area for the Glacier Express, is that correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 12:47:51 #889013

Which rail pass do you have? The Swiss Travel Pass will cover the Glacier Express if that is what you are traveling on. If not, you can find the various rail passes on my last post. Click on the one you have and then click “where it’s valid” to see if it covers the Glacier Express.

Regardless of the rail pass a reservation on the Glacier Express train is mandatory: https://www.myswissalp s.com/glacierexpress/p ackages

Yes, most agree that that section is the best on the Glacier Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 12:52:27 #889014

We have the Eurail 15 day continuous rail pass. I will check and see what is covered on that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 13:11:44 #889015

Also should we take the Glacier Express or would another train be just as good going from Lauterbrunnen to Chur?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 23:54:19 #889016

You can take any route you like and any train you like – the Glacier Express costs more and must be reserved, other regional trains are ‘walk on’ with a Eurail Pass.

Andermatt – Chur covers 2 of the spectacular sections of the Glacier Express route, the Andermatt – Disentis Oberalp Pass section is the most scenic.

For Eurail it is worth looking at Seat 61:

http://www.seat61.com/Railpas s-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2018 at 3:14:08 #889017

>> Also should we take the Glacier Express or would another train be just as good going from Lauterbrunnen to Chur?

Do you mean another train (on the Glacier Express route), or another route?

The standard (and fastest) route between Lauterbrunnen and Chur goes via Bern and Zürich. However, this route is nowhere near as scenic as the Glacier Express route.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2018 at 4:13:42 #889018

Hi

my husband and I traveled from Andermatt to Zermatt 3 days ago. We couldn’t get seat reservations for the Glacier express as they were booked out. Happy rail charged our my account CHF 110/- prior to knowing if there was availability and 10 days later I still haven’t received the refund!!!!!!

we took the normal train. The windows are huge ( please see pictures attached) and train was very quiet !!!!!! With the STP it was included in the fare.

Just my observation. Hope it helps

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2018 at 5:33:10 #889019

Hi Nsk68,

The pictures didn’t attach – they need to be under 1mb to work here unfortunately. Has HappyRail replied that they will refund you?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 13:59:36 #889020

They have and said that they will refund me but the money has not yet appeared in my account. It’s nearly 2 weeks since my account was deducted!!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 6:11:52 #889021

Hi Nsk68,

With multiple parties involved and a bank to refund these things can take a few weeks for sure. Have you been able to contact HappyRail to see if the refund is at least in process? If you can’t get in touch with them leave us your order number and we can try as well.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express Andermatt to Chur?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.