Glacier Express 1st or 2nd class

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2010 at 13:06:43 #803798

I’m considering to travel part of the Glacier Express route during my stay in Sedrun. The panoramic trains seem to be quite luxury, but still I’m not sure if 2nd class is good enough or if I should upgrade to 1st class. What are the differences between both in this train?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 April 2010 at 7:32:19 #831172

Hi Mark, you’re correct in supposing that 2nd class is comfortable in most cases. This goes for the Glacier Express too. The seats on the window sides have a table, there’s air conditioning and during the trip you can listen to commentary on landscape features by earphone. The windows are quite large. 1st class offers all of this as well, the main difference being that seats are larger and there’s more space in 1st class coaches. Therefore it’s less crowded and more quiet than in 2nd class coaches. Moreover, the windows in these wagons are a bit larger. So it depends on your requirements. If you simply want to experience a part of the Glacier Express route, 2nd class is fine. If you do prefer a bit more peace and quiet, you may have to opt for 1st class. I hope this helps! Does anyone else have experience with either 1st or 2nd class coaches in the Glacier Express?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    29 April 2010 at 10:08:24 #831173

We travelled from Samedan to Brig in the Glacier Express and we did it first class. Never regretted that, far less people than in the second class, good service and large windows. Annika said it all. If you can afford it, do it… :-)!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2010 at 11:50:36 #831174

Hello Mark, I tend to agree with Olga: if you have the possibilty, try to go in 1st class! That makes the Glacier Express a true experience in my eyes. On the other hand (just to confuse you a bit more ;-)): you say you’ll only take part of the route Glacier Express route from Sedrun. What section do you have in mind? If you’ll only travel a short time, you may not care about crowded wagons or slightly less space.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express 1st or 2nd class’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.