Glacier Express Excellence Class review

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2019 at 18:59:02 #822361

Glacier Express

Seat 11 and 12, 21 and 22, 31 and 32 etc were on the right going St Moritz to Chur then after Chur we were on the left until Zermatt. We think the other side got better views and a little less sun. But, honestly, there isn’t much in it. Try not to pick the seats with the wall behind you because the view isn’t quite as good. With someone behind you, you get the chance to look through their window too.

We loved the panoramic windows and thought they enabled is to see a lot from the other side that we would have otherwise missed. There was some tinting on some of the highlight windows.

I think all the criticisms of the 1st class GEX have been addressed by the Excellence class. The seats were fabulously comfortable. There was lots of leg room and lots of aisle room but you could still talk to the people next to you if want to. Everyone was really polite and quiet but friendly too. There were two openable windows at the end of the carriage, outside a sliding door but for our exclusive use, the luggage was put (by the concierge) in a locked luggage area, the toilet was exclusively for the 20 passengers and was beautifully clean and remained so the entire trip, there were towelling washers to dry your hands on and the water was warm. There was no queueing.

They had free wifi the whole trip and provided everyone with an ipad in a special holder so you could follow the route, read info on the highlights and/or listen to audio on the highlights if you chose to. The commentary on each highlight was short but informative, they provided headphones, the table had anti-slip bumps in a centre section (which worked) and there was a bottle holder for the glass mineral water bottle, there were anti-slip placemats and linen serviettes. The cutlery was stainless steel and we had real glasses.

They warned you when highlights were coming and told you where to look.

The food was fabulous and punctuated the trip at perfect intervals. See their website for the menu. The meat was cooked to perfection, pink and super tender. Just about everything was GF. The wines were great. Everything was included except spirits. Everything was brought to your table and served beautifully. Plates were cleared one at a time (no stacking). The staff were all multi-lingual (good enough to be able to make jokes) and really helpful, efficient, attentive and friendly.

We were lucky enough to have perfect weather. We thought it was a wonderful experience and would advise anyone who can afford it not to hesitate. The view was constantly changing and wonderful and the food came between the highlights so you didn’t miss any photo opportunities.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 June 2019 at 20:43:40 #915608

Good on you Paddington. Sounds like quite the deal. Glad it lived up to your expectations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2019 at 1:37:23 #915609

It actually exceeded our expectations. We’d done the Bernina Express the day before but the Glacier Express mountains seemed steeper and there was more to watch for, I thought. Being from Australia, we aren’t used to mountains like those! Or, maybe it was the more in-depth commentary that made the area come to life more.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2019 at 3:50:09 #915610

Hi Paddington,

Thanks for sharing this experience with all the forum members, I’m sure it will provide nice input and help in taking decisions in the future regarding the Glacier Express.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2019 at 5:31:46 #915611

Thanks, Steph.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2019 at 9:17:08 #915612

Wow your review sounds amazing. My husband and I are catching the Glazier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz early Sept. I can’t wait thanks for your post. Im glad we chose to do this. Does anyone know which side to sit on for this travel and is there a seating plan i could view to pick our seats.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 June 2019 at 9:36:17 #915613

My thesis on the best side to sit appears at bit.ly/2XxLlOF.

The Excellence Class that Paddington reports can be compared to 1st Class on an airline versus a lower class. Be prepared to spend big. See shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en/specials/daytr ips/glacier-express-excellence-class.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2019 at 12:50:10 #915614

Hi Paddington

I am booked on the Glacier Express Excellence Class next January and have found your post very helpful and informative. This trip has been on my bucket list for a number of years and I actually booked it for February this year (2019) but had to cancel due to moving house. I am pleased I did cancel as I would not have had the opportunity to experience the Excellence Class.

Can you tell me a little about the seats, they look extremely comfortable but is there an option to recline them a little?

Also did you did you find the IPad information helpful and easy to follow, I assume it had a choice of languages as I am English.

Any further information on how you felt it accommodated your needs would be very helpful.

I am really looking forward to this trip, I first went to Switzerland more that 60 years ago and have visited many places there in the intervening years but never had the opportunity to make this journey.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 August 2019 at 12:40:01 #915615

Hi HazelB,

I’m sure this will be a very memorable trip in the Excellence Class! I haven’t done it myself yet but I am sure that the iPads are available in English and various other languages (most passengers will be from abroad). I’m not sure about the reclining seats. If they do recline it will be just a little. The seats look very comfortable to me.

I hope you will share your review once you’ve done this!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2019 at 1:19:30 #915616

how u managed to book GEX so early in advance? I understand 90 days in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2019 at 8:23:21 #915617

Hello Damn66

My booking is through a tour company who will book my seat on the Glacier Express on the appropriate date they come available.

All my holiday itinerary is set out through the Tour Company.

HazelB

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 August 2019 at 9:22:54 #915618

HappyRail, a MySwissAlps partner, will take your booking anytime and actually make the booking when bookings open.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2019 at 12:24:25 #915619

oic understood.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2019 at 17:42:40 #915620

Getting ready to book and so excited to check out Excellence Class. Question, I am traveling alone, and I assume most people are in couples. Looking at the seats I think I will take one of the back against the wall. One end seems to be near the bathroom and the other end near the Bar. Anyone have a suggestion which end of the train car would be better. I don’t mind the bar, but I do not wish to hear the bathroom. Thoughts? Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2019 at 5:46:44 #915621

Hello CATravel,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

I definitely agree with you on sitting towards the bar versus the bathroom. In case you haven’t seen our link on Glacier Express, I will attach it for your convenience:

http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

I wish you a wonderful trip in Switzerland!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2019 at 11:29:28 #915622

Thanks and I sure will!

• The thread ‘Glacier Express Excellence Class review’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.