Glacier Express – town for midway break?

• Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    18 October 2018 at 13:33:16 #818733

Hello Thrillseakers,

Firstly apologies to Lucas for not replying to post. I had health issues but all is good now and we’re re-starting our 15 day STP flex plan. Anyway my partner mentioned to me that she read we should stop somewhere 1/2 way on the Glacier Express as the 8 hr journey might be mentally draining.

Can you get off at say Andermatt , stay the night and catch the next day’s train?

Also I wasn’t planning on seeing Bern but my partner would love to after seeing some literature about it.

Thoughts please. Arctic Wolf.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 October 2018 at 22:06:34 #898097

If you break the journey you will need to pay for two reservations. One for each day. You don’t say which direction you are travelling. If from Zermatt then a stop at Chur shortens the length of the journey.

A bit more context on your itinerary may assist in providing tailored advice.

Bern? Accede to your partners wishes (providing it fits in to your itinerary). You can easily do a day trip there from Lucerne or Interlaken for example.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2018 at 6:54:36 #898098

Hi Arctic Wolf,

I supposes Andermatt is about the 1/2 way point, though Chur would be a good stop as well if needed.

Do let us know your itinerary if you’d like advice about how to fit in Bern or other details if you wish.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express – town for midway break?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.