Glacier Express reservation & upgrade

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 0:33:03 #816240

When making Glacier Express reservation, it offer the ‘Print@home’ option. Just wonder do I really need to print it or I can just show them on the phone. Reason for asking being by the time I know what time to go, I might not have the printer with me. Of course this is subject to seat availability at the time I try to make reservation 🙂 KL

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 May 2018 at 1:24:39 #886384

I would:

1. Print it at home.

2. Don’t leave it too long otherwise you may not get a seat. You can’t just decide to go the next day and expect to get a seat. It is a very popular tourist attraction.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 5:46:52 #886385

I think I can understand what you mean, it is almost full now from what I can see.

If I am holding Swiss Travel Pass (2nd class) and would like to travel on the Glacier Express on 1st class due to limited seats available, I understand I can do that by purchasing an ‘upgrade ticket’. Do I need to purchase it onsite or I can get the upgrade ticket from any station ? When I try to get into the SBB website purchasing an upgrade ticket for Glacier Express, it said I cannot do that and need to do it in local office, and I am assuming local office mean the actual station that I am going to catch the train ??

Rgds/KL

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 May 2018 at 5:54:17 #886386

You can buy a class upgrade for the Glacier Express route (it’s the route that matters not the specific train) on-line or if you are struggling to do that at a station anywhere in Switzerland.

You don’t have to buy the class upgrade before you make the reservation. If you know seats are running low then I would advise you not to delay much longer if you want to travel on the actual Glacier Express rather than just follow that route on regular trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 6:04:42 #886387

How do I specify I am holding a Swiss Travel Pass for the upgrade, or it doesn’t matter.

I tried the Chur – Brig route, the GEX gave me CHF31 that do not allow me to purchase, but if I choose other with different connection it gave it CHF44 that allow me to purchase. So not sure if I mis-understood you.

Worst case is to get it from other station day before I travel I think. I dont want to do it on the same day to be safe.

Rgds/KL

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 May 2018 at 7:06:43 #886388

Hi KL,

To get the route specific Class Upgrade with the Swiss Travel Pass you have to claim the half-fare card discount to get the correct price of CHF31. You need Chur to Brig via Andermatt. I tried a few trains and they all showed CHF31. I’m not sure why it says you can’t buy one for the GEX but the price is the same whichever train you take on that route. When I was travelling in Switzerland I used the SBB Mobile app to purchase class upgrades.

If you are worried about doing the right thing just buy the upgrade at a station.

Did you get seat reservations?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 7:48:52 #886389

Rockoyster,

Thank you again for your help. Yes I reserved the seat although not the original date/time that I want. I am now shuffling my schedule 🙂

Also I tried the SBB apps and yes, it allow me to purchase the ticket upgrade for the route. I might do that when I arrive Switzerland and before I go for the Glacier Express.

Since the ticket is via the SBB app, so I am assuming it will come up on the app that I can show the conductor, not need to print, is my assumption correct ?

Rgds/KL

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 May 2018 at 7:53:51 #886390

Hi KL,

Yes you can do that (show the barcode to the inspector) with the SBB app. That’s what I did when I travelled on the Gotthard Panorama Express.

Sounds like you are good to go.

Enjoy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 9:04:02 #886391

Rockoyster,

Thank you for all the information and support these few days. Didn’t book everything yet but yes I am more or less ready and just need to react to the unexpected. I visited Switzerland long time ago, the pre-internet age and it is a lot more easier to plan, now is too much information. Anyway really looking forward going back to see this country again.

Thank you. KL

• The thread ‘Glacier Express reservation & upgrade’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.