Glacier Express – seat reservation

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 20:48:41 #816949

I am planning to take glacier express ride.

Zurich -> Chur (I have STP, so i believe no fees to pay)

Chur -> Andermatt (I have STP, so i believe no fees to pay). Do i need to pay seat reservation? Is it mandatory ?

Andermatt -> Zurich (I have STP, so i believe no fees to pay)

Please confirm. Does this iternary feasible in 6 hours if i start my trip at 12 noon from zurich ?

Also is it mandatory to have seat reservation for glacier express ? If i do not go for seat reservation, what happens ? Do i get any random seat ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 4:24:33 #889691

>> Zurich -> Chur (I have STP, so i believe no fees to pay)

Correct.

>> Chur -> Andermatt (I have STP, so i believe no fees to pay). Do i need to pay seat reservation? Is it mandatory ?

No additional costs if you take a regional train. If you take the Glacier Express, reservations are mandatory and cost extra. In the high season (16 Jun-16 Sep 2018) a reservation costs CHF 43. Reservations can be made here:

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en

>> Andermatt -> Zurich (I have STP, so i believe no fees to pay)

Correct.

>> Please confirm. Does this iternary feasible in 6 hours if i start my trip at 12 noon from zurich ?

Please use the Swiss Timetable to plan your trip and find out how long it will take:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Use the timetable on the right with the red SBB logo.

>> Also is it mandatory to have seat reservation for glacier express ?

Yes.

>> If i do not go for seat reservation, what happens ?

Passengers without a valid seat reservation are not entitled to transport on the Glacier Express.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Glacier Express – seat reservation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.