Glacier Express – seat reservation on 24 Dec

• marvin_wan
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 October 2022 at 1:47:40 #828526

Hi all

I have planned to take glazier express from Chur to Zermatt/St. Moritz to Zermatt on 24 December. I remember I need to book 2 months in advanced. However, I check the website and I found that no more seat to book even I choose first class. There are only 2 coaches which are excellent class (2 seats/row) and second class (4 seats/row). All second class has been fully booked. I cannot find the first class coach (3 seats/row). Is it normal that there are only 2 coaches for glacier express?

What should I do if I cannot book the glacier express but I want to see the same view as glacier express?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    18 October 2022 at 6:43:27 #947849

Hi marvin wan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps. Can you share any more of your itinerary? Are you starting in off Chur? Do you want to go to both Zermatt AND St. Moritz from Chur? If so, then you are going to hit at least one leg of the Glacier Express twice, as the G. Express itself runs between Zermatt and St. Moritz, with Chur in between, but closer to St Moritz. (Two hrs. to St. Moritz from Chur. 6 hrs from Chur to Zermatt.) That being said, you can either start, or stop in Chur as well. So you may, depending on your itinerary, want to consider starting in either Zermatt or St. Moritz.

If worse comes to worse, as far as seat reservations, you can always travel on the main lines as they travel on the same track as the express lines. Just with more stops along the way. But the scenery/views will be the same.

Hello Just some thoughts to bear in mind as you make further plans. Hope this may be of some help to you. Don’t hesitate to ask more questions.

Regards,

Danielsan

Anna
    6382 posts
    18 October 2022 at 7:54:21 #947850

Hi marvin wan,

In wintertime, the Glacier Express is limited to one service per day in each direction so seats are limited. It’s possible that seats are fully-booked on your selected date of travel. I did quick check on the website and found that there are still seats available for day before and after the 24th December. If you have a flexible plan, I recommend trying out a different date instead. Alternatively, if you still wish to travel on the Glacier Express route on the same date, one option would be to take the regular trains but this would involve several train changes to complete the route. You can find information about the route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere. You can also read the differences between taking the Glacier Express vs regular trains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress

Regards,

Anna

TravisL
    Participant
    23 posts
    18 October 2022 at 12:09:50 #947851

Hi marvin wan,

I was planning to take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz in 1st class on Dec 17th but it was almost full. I couldn’t get 3 seats together when trying to make a seat reservation. I had to take the Dec 16th train instead and move the other plans around it.

I originally thought I can only book 2 month in advance but that seems only apply to the actual ticket. I was able to make seat reservation on Oct 5th for Dec 16th train so the 2 month in advance rule doesn’t apply to seat reservation. If you are seeing full train my guess is the seat reservation is taking up most of the seats.

Regards,

Travis

marvin_wan
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 October 2022 at 12:17:33 #947852

Hi Travis

At least I can see 4 coaches of train. For my case, there are only 2 coaches which are excellent class and second class. Basically there is no second class seat. Excellent class is super expensive.

marvin_wan
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 October 2022 at 12:32:49 #947853

Hi Anna

I’ll leave Milan on 22Dec around 1pm to and have to arrive Zermatt on 24Dec.

what do you think my plan?

22Dec

Take the afternoon train from Milano to Tirano.

23Dec

Take the morning Bernina express from Tirano to St. Moritz.

Have a lunch in St. Moritz.

Then take 2pm SBB train to Chur.

24Dec

Take morning train from chur to zermatt

Chur – Disentis – Andermatt – Visp – Zermatt

I try to use SBB apps but seems the transition time in Disentis is only 3 mins. Is there any issue?

TravisL
    Participant
    23 posts
    18 October 2022 at 12:48:28 #947854

I did a quick check just now.

It looks like if I select 2nd class during the search there is no 2nd class available on Dec 24th at all. They are fully booked, at least the seat reservation is.

If I select 1st class during the search I only see one 1st class seat available on Dec 24th going by the seating chart.

The total number of seats (in the case of Dec 24 is 4 seats) showing under the date tab is a combination of both Excellent class, 1st and 2nd class. For Dec 24, I see 3 Excellent class and 1 1st class seat remaining.

My guess is the system automatically hides the coach that doesn’t have any seats available so you are only seeing 2 coaches and Coach 1 seems to be the Excellent class so you can’t select any seat unless you use the Excellent class booking page.

I looked around different date but it seems most date only have 1 or 2 seats left scattered around the coach. Excellent class still have seats together but they are very expensive as you said.

Regards,

Travis

marvin_wan
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 October 2022 at 14:04:22 #947855

Hi Travis

My trip is from St moritz to Zermatt/ Chur to Zermatt. There are only 2 coaches which are excellent and second class. Anyway, I might skip the Glacier Express. Thx

marvin_wan
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 October 2022 at 14:13:53 #947856

Hi Danielsan

Originally, I plan to take Bernia express from Tirano to Chur on 23Dec. Then I take Glacier express from Chur to Zermatt on 24Dec.

However, I found that the Bernia express depart at 2pm and arrive Chur at 6pm. Sunset is early in December so I decide to change the plan.

I change to take Bernia express from Tirano to St Moritz at 8am, 23Dec. Then take glacier express from St moritz to Zermatt on 24Dec. This plan was originally perfect but there is no more seats.

Finally, I decide to cancel the glacier express.

Take Bernia express from Tirano to St moritz on 23Dec morning. Then take normal train to Chur after a lunch in St moritz.

On 24 Dec, I take the train from Chur to Zermatt via Disentis, Andermatt and Visp.

Not sure if this plan is good or not.

I leave Milano on 22Dec and I have to arrive Zermatt on 24Dec. Thx

Anna
    6382 posts
    18 October 2022 at 18:22:30 #947857

Hi marvin wan,

Yes, it’s possible to travel on the Glacier Express route with regular trains from Chur to Zermatt. As you mentioned, you will need to change trains in Disentis, Andermatt and Visp. The transfer time indicated on the timetable are accurate and sufficient. The 3 min transfer time in Disentis is enough time to switch to the next train.

Regards,

Anna

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    19 October 2022 at 7:10:08 #947858

Hi marvin wan,

Just bear in mind that the train from St Moritz to Chur is a 2 hour ride. Unless you really, really, want to see St Moritz, you may want to consider either skipping it, or skipping lunch there and going straight to Chur. I say this only because its a six hour, plus, ride to Zermatt on the Glacier Express With stops/switches on the main line it is probably longer. So just keep that in mind as you do schedule the trip to Zermatt. Enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2022 at 18:59:06 #947859

Danielsan, I think that you have misunderstood. marvin wan is saying they will do St Moritz – Chur in the afternoon of 23rd, then Chur – Zermatt on 24th. That is not problematic time wise.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    20 October 2022 at 1:09:58 #947860

Hi 1960man,

Yes, I just read it again, I did misunderstand.

Regards,

Danielsan

• The thread ‘Glacier Express – seat reservation on 24 Dec’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.