Glacier Express St Moritz to Zermatt 26th August

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 10:57:23 #816536

Hi – Im trying to reserve seats on the Glacier Express using the website site . http://www.glacierexpress.ch

But it tells me I can only reserve seats two months in advance.

They emailed me that I could book 90 days before … which would be the 28th of May for seats required on the Sunday 26th August 2018 at 10.19 am departing St Moritz to Zermatt.

I’m told on the website that I can only book two months in advance and “there are no connections available. Please choose another day” .

We will be using our 1st Class Eurail pass. Eurail website says seat reservation would be 33chf each. But the above website said 43 Chf each. Is this the 1st Class cost?

I looked at the website link to HappyRail.com site on your webpage and they wanted 55Chf each to make the reservation?

Our travel in Switzerland is going to be very tight, we are wanting to travel on three scenic trains, Bernina Express, Glacier Express, Golden Pass Line Interlaken to Montreux. I have pre-booked accommodation in anticipation of travelling on these trains. We leave for Overseas in the beginning of August and need to secure these reservations early so we can plan the remainder of our holiday. I’m finding it very frustrating.

\Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 June 2018 at 11:29:51 #887812

Hi AusCol,

CHF 33 is the mid season price. You’re traveling in high season so then the price is CHF 43. 1st or 2nd class does not matter, you’ve paid for that in the ticket price, or in your case the pass price. Happyrail is mostly the cheapest of all at the moment, but not for this reservation. They allow bookings for any date. Should they not be able to secure the seat because it’s too early, they will do so as soon as it is possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 11:41:25 #887813

thank you. Yes my mistake, I looked at the mid season rate. So it will be 43 chf. So if I want peace of mind I should book with HappyRail and pay the 55 chf? Or can you tell me when will it be possible to book through the Glacier Express site and only pay the 43 chf for Sunday, 26th August? Because if reservations arent open yet, I shouldn’t worry about being able to secure seats. But their site says no connections available, ..

Yep, I’m confused

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 16:41:25 #887814

Hi AusCol,

HappyRail will make the reservation now if available. If not they wait until the reservations open and then reserve the seats. So with HappyRail you can “book now” (technically) and they will do the rest once reservations open.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 23:49:21 #887815

Hi Auscol,

>> But it tells me I can only reserve seats two months in advance.

No, you are misunderstanding the message. It says:

For your travel date you can currently only book the reservation. The tickets can unfortunately only be bought 2 months in advance.

You don’t need tickets, you only need a reservation. That can indeed be made now.

>> They emailed me that I could book 90 days before … which would be the 28th of May for seats required on the Sunday 26th August 2018 at 10.19 am departing St Moritz to Zermatt.

Yes, that is correct for reservations only (which is what you wanted).

Unfortunately first class has only one seat left on the 10:19 departure from St Moritz on 26 August 2018.

However, there are still 12 seats available in second class, of which 10 are window seats, if you are willing to travel in second class.

When the booking plan comes up, the suggested seats will be coloured green. If you would prefer to choose different seats, click the green seats to deselect them, then click your choice of the available seats.

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 23:54:33 #887816

I think you have mis-read the glacierexpress.com website.

I tried for you and the wording is: ” For your travel date you can currently only book the reservation. The tickets can unfortunately only be bought 2 months in advance.”

You will already have the ticket (Eurail) so you do only need the reservations

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 4:17:50 #887817

Hi all – thank you so much for your great efforts in trying to assist me with bookings on both the Bernina Express and the Glacier Express. I did email the Glacier Express and received a reply saying they were having technical difficulties with their website and gave me a phone number to call “We have some technical problems on our website actually, it would be better to book by phone”. I had tried to reserve seats but the “next” button wasn’t allowing any further action.

Lucky for me I took their advice and rang. The helpful assistant was able to book the whole trip. We got the last two seats on the coach. First class seats on the Bernina Express & the Glacier Express for the dates we needed. I can give you the phone number if its helpful for anyone else having similar problem. We have a booking number and picking up our documents in Lugano. So a good end to a stressful day, hopefully not a too expensive phone bill, but I slept well!

Your team are wonderful, so willing to help. Thank you all once again.

I posted this same message in another post. The two actions I was trying to achieve were similar. But the “headings” would be different if someone was trying to search. – Cheers, AusCol

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 7:40:55 #887818

Good to hear! Have a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 14:46:30 #887819

We had excellent results using Happyrail for our seat reservations during high season. They we quick, efficient and spot on with our seat selections! I would highly recommend using them.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express St Moritz to Zermatt 26th August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.