Getting to Matterhorn, Rhone & Aletsch glaciers

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 17:02:55 #816101

Hi all, I’m planning on my 1st trip to Switzerland & am intending to hit Rhone Glacier,Aletsch Glacier and lastly Matterhorn, this 3 places in 3d2n. A couple of questions that require all your expertise & knowledge.

1. Is the Swiss travel pass enough for all the transports to this 3 places?
    2. Travelling down from Zurich, whats the best plan to hit this 3 places? I.e Zurich -> Matterhorn;overnight & mountain viewing in the morning -> Aletsch Glacier -> Rhone Glacier;overnight & travel back to Zurich
    3. Follow up on Ques 2, step by step station to board and alight, which train to take.
    4. Any tics i have to purchase for this 3 locations?
    5. Recommended stay for overnight location if you recommend on Ques.2

Need all the help i can get, my brain is getting worn out from all the tabs i’ve opened…. Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 20:42:16 #885827

Hi Ahchang and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes – mostly. Some tickets must still be bought at a reduced rate
    2. Yes, I would try to go to Zermatt first, then Aletsch Glacier (view from Bettmeralp) and then the Rhone Glacier (via bus to Gletsch, Post bus stop).
    3. The Swiss railways timetable will give you step by step details. Zurich –> Zermatt –> Bettmergrat –> Gletsch Post.
    4. At Zermatt I guess you want to visit the Klein Matterhorn, also know as Glacier Paradise? There is a ticket to pay (reduced by 50% with Swiss Travel Pass).
    5. For the Aletsch Glacier views at Bettmeralp you must also buy a ticket at 50% off
    6. For the Rhone Glacier the bus takes you right there (a short walk from visitor centre). No cable car required but a small entrance fee is charged (about 7chf).
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 7:16:05 #885828

Good day Lucas. i can’t thank you enough for those tips, it gives me a clearer picture now! Thanks again

• The thread ‘Getting to Matterhorn, Rhone & Aletsch glaciers’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.