Gluten free in Wengen help

• Chickpea
    Participant
    3 posts
    3 August 2018 at 11:51:53 #817656

I am a coeliac going to Wengen, staying half board in a hotel, and would like to be able to buy food for lunch for when we go walking e.g gluten free bread or gluten free crackers, cheese, ham or fruit. Can I buy this in Wengen?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    4 August 2018 at 5:39:09 #893190

Hello Chickpea and welcome!

i am just back from my 21st trip to Wengen and travel with a gluten intolerant (not Coeliac) husband.

The Coop in town carries the excellent Schaer brand GF bread but you will not find GF crackers in the area. Coop also sells a excellent Muesli/granola GF cereal should you wish to augment your hotel breakfast with some GF grains. And , of course, you can buy lean proteins (do NOT miss the spectacular air dried beef “Trocken Fleisch”) and dozens of local cheeses (go to Chas Gruebi for the most stunning assortment . And, not intuitive but true, the produce in the area is crazy good

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 21:07:19 #893191

Oh i am visiting Wengen for the 1st time in a couple weeks. Hopefully one day I can say that I am just getting back from my 21st trip there. So so excited!!

Chickpea
    Participant
    3 posts
    18 August 2018 at 6:23:49 #893192

Hello Kim,

Thank you for your helpful advice. I shall look forward to trying the local produce which sounds great.

One further question if I may. My husband and I are both casual dressers and do not want to have to take too many clothes, so were wondering how smartly we need to dress for dinner at the hotel. I appreciate that walking boots and shorts would not be suitable but would jeans be ok if not too scruffy?

I do have dresses and heels but don’t want to find I am overdressed!

Thanks again

Chickpea

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2018 at 12:07:03 #893193

Hi Chickpea,

Avoiding hiking shoes and shorts is all that you need to do for sure. Especially in smaller alpine villages such as Wengen. 🙂 I would guess heels and a dress would almost be overdressed a little – although certainly nothing wrong with it!

Chickpea
    Participant
    3 posts
    18 August 2018 at 13:18:42 #893194

Thanks, that will save on the luggage!

• The thread ‘Gluten free in Wengen help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.