Golden Pass Line during construction works

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 18:20:15 #815371

Hello,

On May 6/7/2018 I will be taking the Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Lucern via Zweismman. I understand I cannot make a reservation for the VIP Panorama seats during this time due to construction.

My questions are: Are the panorama seats even available during construction? If so, Is it first come first served?

Thank you Rockyoyster and Lucas for your input on my previous post about SDP. SBB was very helpful!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 19:18:08 #882467

I just rode the Golden Pass Line last week and was going to post a trip report but this is perfect. We had booked a first class Saver Day Pass (plus the Companion Ticket, which is only available for travel until May 6th) for our travel days. I suspect there are a limited number of Panoramic coaches, and as we only had the golden-colored Panoramic coach (with the VIP seats) available for half of our trip.

From Montreux to Montbovon, we were in a “regular” train car, which still had huge windows with great views, at least in first class. The train itself only had 3 cars. It was still marked GoldenPass/MOB in smaller print but was not the golden-colored train car with the extra windows along the ceiling or the “VIP” section). The GoldenPass train we saw going in the other direction did have a Panoramic lead car, so my guess is that they’re alternating “regular” and Panoramic cars

The transition from train to bus to train was fairly seamless with lots of staff to help with the transfer. It’s about a 3-5 minute walk in Montbovon and less in Chateau d’Oex. There’s a slight uphill section in Montbovon, and the staff were great about helping a few people who had issues dragging their luggage. When we got back to the train in Chateau d’Oex, the first compartment was a Panoramic GoldenPass compartment. There were only a handful of people in first class and we made a bee-line for the VIP section to grab the first row seats. There was a small barrier that said VIP seats with surcharge at the entrance to the “VIP” section, but this had been held open and covered, so I assumed it was first-come-first-served, and none of the staff ever questioned us sitting there. The view from that front row was amazing, and definitely the highlight of the day. I had read that only the front row VIP seats are worth it, and maybe that’s true if you’re paying 15 CHF, but I thought the view from the second row would have been incredible as well. We stayed in the VIP section the whole time, but other people who were seated elsewhere in first class came in and out to check out the view at various times. I was a little worried about keeping luggage at the opposite end of the train car, but there were only a handful of people in the car and always a staff member or three there too, so it wasn’t an issue

Hope that helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 19:32:03 #882468

Tanman,

Just what I was looking for! So helpful especially with the minor details. I’m so excited to take this route. Thank you

• The thread ‘Golden Pass Line during construction works’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.