Golden Pass Luzern to Montreux, pass or tickets?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2016 at 4:36:13 #810145

Hi, I am so confused, do I reserve, do I buy a pass, do I book 3 different trains. I want to go from Lucerne to Montreuxl Starting on October 15, 2 seniors. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 September 2016 at 8:59:24 #856138

Hi DMckitrick, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’ll find all details, about reservations too, on the Golden Pass page. You can either buy a ticket for the entire ride, or buy a rail pass. This decision depends on all of your travel plans in Switzerland. You’ll find lots of information here:

Just let us know if you need more help!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 September 2016 at 23:54:36 #856139

Hi DMcKitrick –

Arno has said it all.

For perspective…is that your only train trip in Switzerland?

When are you traveling?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2016 at 0:22:56 #856140

Hi, the plan is to come up from Milan to Lucerne and then the next day go from Lucern , on the GoldenPass to Montreaux. We have never travelled on train before.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 September 2016 at 0:33:02 #856141

<<“Hi, the plan is to come up from Milan to Lucerne and then the next day go from Lucern , on the GoldenPass to Montreaux. We have never travelled on train before.”>>

Is that your only time in Switzerland? Do you finish in Montreux?

I ask for reasons of pricing…rail pass or individual tickets…

You’ll love the train. The route over the Gotthard Pass (Milano to Luzern) is worth a special detour just to see it. Glad that you are planning on it.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2016 at 7:38:20 #856142

Greetings, as our group of 4 seniors did this trip on September 8th, but in reverse order, beginning in Geneva perhaps I can help. When we arrived in Geneva we bought the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass at the train station for 210 CHF each covering the 8th, 9th and 10th. On the 8th caught the train Geneva to Montreux. In Montreux boarded the panorama train to Zweissimen (allow time for this track transfer, took us longer than we thought it would; poor signage, no one to ask and we had our baggage). This panorama train was one of the best parts of our Swiss trip. Due to maintenance we then took a bus for 40 minutes to Spiez then a 20 minute train ride Spiez to Interlaken OST. Finally at Interlaken we got on a very nice, few passengers train on to Lucerne. This last train into Lucerne was as scenic as the Montreux to Zweissimen leg. We had no reservations on any of these but our tickets were reviewed by the ticket agent on all trains along with our US passports. Using the STP was a very good way to do this trip and what scenery. Enjoy.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass Luzern to Montreux, pass or tickets?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.