Golden Pass train best route Geneva to Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 21:30:53 #813759

We are still putting our trip together. We will arrive in Switzerland on the 15th of August

We had considered the following:

Arrive in Geneva 8.30 pm from a long flight from Australia. (flight is booked) As a way of coping with jet lag, up early checking out of the hotel at 12 and then:

Catching a train to Montreux. Spend 2 nights there. Visit Chillon Castle, walks, visit Gruyere, boat ride Lake Brienz.

Take the Golden Pass train to Luzern. Two nights in Luzern. Regular train to Zweisimmen, then Golden Pass to Meiringen.

Is this practical?

Wengen for 4 nights.

Wengen to Zurich for flight.

I would prefer to do: Geneva to Montreux, Montreux to Wengen, Wengen to Luzern, Luzern to Zurich, it seems like less back tracking….but then will miss the Golden Pass.

Any help much appreciated

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 December 2017 at 21:59:14 #872473

Hi Mittens,

I would prefer to do: Geneva to Montreux, Montreux to Wengen, Wengen to Luzern, Luzern to Zurich, it seems like less back tracking….but then will miss the Golden Pass.

That makes much more sense and you still get to do the Golden Pass Line. It is several trains not just one. The route Montreux – Zweisimmen – Spiez – Interlaken – Meiringen – Luzern constitutes the Golden Pass Line. The first leg is where the Panoramic trains are. Read about it here http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass.

Wengen is a side trip from Interlaken,

Oh, and Lake Brienz is near Interlaken (and therefore Wengen) NOT Montreux. The Swiss Travel Pass Area of Validity map (myswissalps.com/swiss travelpass/validity) is very useful for getting a handle on where all the locations are in relation to one another and the inter-connecting routes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 22:27:20 #872474

Hi Rockoyster,

Thank you very much! Generally we prefer to stay in 1 or 2 spots for 8 days and travel around from there. Love the look of Wengen, so that is at least fixed! Geneva is fixed as we arrive there in the evening. I will try to get my head around the map. I am sure I will be back on the forum shortly with a hundred other questions….

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 December 2017 at 23:15:17 #872475

Hi Mittens,

What time are you flying out of Zurich? It is only one hour from Lucerne direct to Zurich Airport if you pick the right train so depending on your flight time may be not need to overnight in Zurich before departure.

There are direct trains from Geneva Airport to Montreux if you want to avoid another hotel swap. Trip takes under 1 hour 30 mins. All depends if the matchsticks will still keep the eyes open at that stage.

Reservations are strongly recommended for the Montreux to Zweisimmen Golden Pass leg at that time of the year. See http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure If you go to Gruyères you will most likely be following the Golden Pass Line there and back between Montreux and Montbovon unless you are happy for a bus/train combo. The SBB Timetable will reveal all http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 23:36:41 #872476

Hi Rockoyster,

My first thought was to try to go direct from Genva Airport to Montreux. We rarely suffer too much jet lag on the way to Europe, ..coming back is a different story. Sadly I don’t sleep on a plane. It would be better to go straight to Montreux, but afraid we’ll fall asleep on the train!

It would be great to have 2 full days in Montreux.

I hadn’t intend staying overnight in Zurich. We had originally planned to exit Switzerland into Italy, but have decided to fly from Zurich to Greece, then after 2 and a bit weeks back to Rome.

Thanks for the reminders for the reservation. Gruyeres looks lovely.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 December 2017 at 4:33:26 #872477

Hi Mittens,

I assumed from your earlier post that you may be doing a day trip to Gruyères. But of course if you are going Montreux to Wengen you could always go Montruex – Montbovon – Gruyères – Montbovon – Wengen. The only issue might be luggage but you could always use the SBB Express Luggage service to send your stuff from Montreux to Wengen if you didn’t mind the expense. See http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage/luggage/expres s-luggage.html

It may also be possible to leave luggage at Montbovon Station. They have baggage services Mon–Fri 07:15 – 11:35 13:15 – 16:30 but not sure if that means left luggage or just luggage drop-off/collection.

Something to think about.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass train best route Geneva to Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.