GoldenPass between Luzern and Montreux, Nov 6/7

• Scopecat
    Participant
    3 posts
    30 October 2022 at 18:45:09 #828575

Hello! I’m planning to be in Luzern on Nov 6, and would like to take the GoldenPass route to my next city, Lausanne either that day or the next. I see that there are some posted service interruptions during that time on that route, and the MOB timetable website does not show me Goldenpass routes for those days. Am I out of luck? Will I have to travel to Lausanne via Bern, or do I have other options?

Thank you so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 October 2022 at 20:05:36 #948055

Luzern – Interlaken is not the true Golden Pass, it is the comparatively low altitude Brunig Pass railway. The engineering work affects the true Golden Pass which is the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux.

In early November The MOB railway is closed between Montbovon and Montreux, with a replacement bus service.

Scopecat
    Participant
    3 posts
    30 October 2022 at 21:01:56 #948056

Thanks for the information! Narrowing down the stations between Interlaken & Montbovon allowed me to find the Golden Pass train times.

The Brunig Pass railway also appears to be closed during my travel dates between Brienz and Spiez, and it looks like I would have to take two bus transfers to connect those stations on my route. Is the Bruning Pass railway also scenic, or should I get to Spiez through Bern?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 October 2022 at 21:49:12 #948057

Yes, the Zentralbahn is closed for complete rebuild Meiringen – Interlaken until 27 November.

The Brunig Pass is ‘pleasantly scenic’ but not spectacular so it is not worth the effort IMO.

I suggest you take the scenic Emmental (as in the cheese) valley railway Luzern – Bern, then pick up any train Bern – Fribourg – Lausanne. The descent into Lausanne gives better views (sit on the left) than the descent from the Golden Pass to Montreux

Scopecat
    Participant
    3 posts
    30 October 2022 at 22:48:58 #948058

Thank you very much for the recommendation! Just to make sure, I’ve attached an image of the route I think you’re recommending. Is it correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2022 at 0:21:10 #948059

Yes, that’s correct. The Emmental line via Langnau is the old traditional route between Luzern and Bern, and was the normal route taken by fast Bern – Luzern trains to go when I was a youngster, so I’ve enjoyed it many times.

Some care is nowadays needed when boarding a train for Bern at Luzern station, so please be aware of the following:

1) do not board the Luzern – Bern – (Lausanne – Geneve) hourly route IR15 service that was introduced some years ago (but nevertheless a comparatively recent innovation) and runs via Zofingen to take advantage of the high speed line from Zofingen to Bern.

2) the Luzern – Langnau – Bern train (RE4xxx, departing at xx.57 each hour) is slightly more local in nature than in the ‘old days’ and is now formed of up to date unit trains which have two portions so do make sure you board the correct Bern portion when you get on at Luzern.

Here is the Luzern – Langnau – Bern PDF:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf_fields/2022/460.pdf

Anna
    6384 posts
    31 October 2022 at 12:23:04 #948060

Hi Scopecat,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Here’s the link about the Goldenpass route, just in case you need more information: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere

regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘GoldenPass between Luzern and Montreux, Nov 6/7’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.