Good scenic short hikes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2013 at 3:49:00 #805971

Hi All,

I am making a 10 days trip to Lucerne (3days), Interlaken (3 days) and Zermatt in June 2013. I am keen to do perhaps a short half day round trip hiking in any one of those places that I will be visiting.

If I can only do ONE short leisure hike and not too difficult, which will you recommend ? We love the mountains and hope to enjoy the scenery as much as possible although our itinerary only permits us ONE short leisure hike.

Your recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Patrick KL

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2013 at 16:34:15 #838600

Out of Interlaken, I would train to Lauterbrunnen, cross the street to the Gondola which connets to a small, narrow gauge train that makes the short hop to Murren. My favorite walk is from the train station in Murren, through the town with a stop for a glass of liquid and the most fabulous view of the Monk, Jungfrau and Eiger (Alpenrue Hotel Deck). Then at the far end of town is another gondola that drops back down to the valley floor. The 45 minute hike back to Lauterbrunnen is outstanding.

In Zermatt I would recommend the hike to Zmutt, a small, antique of a place with some really great food for lunch. It’s about an hour uphill but a great hike, view and food. Sits right at the base of the Matterhorn. Just head out of town towards the Matterhorn and keep to the right. You will see signs.

In Interlaken, the boat ride to Thun is a wonderful excursion with several colorful stops. My routine is then a short walk to the train station (In Thun) and then train back to Interlaken. A good 1/2 day trip.

In all of Switzerland, Murren is my favorite town. On the other side of the valley is Wengen which holds it’s own “sights to see.” Same train station out of Lauterbrunnen but the opposite direction from Murren.

Have a good trip and hope for good weather. We will be right behind you in August and are spending our 12 days split between Murren and Zermatt. You will see why!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2013 at 22:16:52 #838601

Hi RCW,

Thanks for your insightful information. Really appreciate it. I will probably do Murren as suggested as the photos I see on the Internet and your recommendation confirms it.

Thanks a bunch
    Patrick Kl

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2013 at 17:35:29 #838602

I second the Zmutt hike when in Zermatt [quote]champ said: Hi RCW,

Thanks for your insightful information. Really appreciate it. I will probably do Murren as suggested as the photos I see on the Internet and your recommendation confirms it.

Thanks a bunch
    Patrick Kl[/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2013 at 20:35:12 #838603

Hi Bob,

Thanks very much for your recommendation. I may just do the Zmutt hike too when in Zermatt .

Thanks
    Patrick KL

• The thread ‘Good scenic short hikes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.