Gotthard Panorama Express and return the same day?

• Pape
    Participant
    8 posts
    1 July 2017 at 23:55:52 #812470

Hi

I understand Gotthard panorama express can be booked though happy rail.

I would like to know if the trip from Lucerne to Bellinzola , all three section and return back to lucerne on the same day is that possible ?. When I look at the happy rail website, it only provides me with the departure from Lucerne at 11.112 am by boat and reach Bellinzola around 15.54 pm and then reaches lugano at 16.38? The return is only shown for next day from Lugano at 11.11 am, if I have to book reservation how do I plan if I want to return the same day, are there more options for boat and train timings for Gotthard Panorama express to complete in one day and to and from Lucerne?

Please assist.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 July 2017 at 1:59:15 #866025

Hi Pape,

Yes you can do the round trip in a day.

Once you get to Lugano you can catch a fast train (takes around 2 hours with a change at Arth-Goldhau) via the Gotthard Base Tunnel to get you back to Luzern on the same day. The other alternative which I think makes better use of your day is to take the fast train to Lugano in the morning and come back to Luzern via the Gotthard Panorama Express. The GPEX leaves Lugano at 11:11am see attached extract from timetable search.

If you check the timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable you will see several permutations. To follow the Gotthard Panorama route you need to enter via Göshenen. If you leave out the via station the timetable will default to the fastest less scenic route.

• The thread ‘Gotthard Panorama Express and return the same day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.