Grindelwald and mountain lifts with a wheelchair

• Macmcmahon21
    Participant
    2 posts
    13 June 2022 at 19:54:11 #827492

I’m coming to grindelwald area with my parents, my father has limited mobility, can walk small distances but not far , what’s my best choice in terms of renting him a mobility scooter or wheelchair ? How accessible are the gondolas and cable carts and then the upper mountainous regions? Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    14 June 2022 at 6:12:40 #943201

Hi Macmcmahon21,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Swiss public transport and most mountain transportations now provide barrier-free access. This includes the gondolas and cable cars to Grindelwald First and from Grindelwald Terminal to Männlichen. Other wheelchair-friendly destinations in the Jungfrau region and surrounding areas include the Jungfraujoch, Pfingstegg, Schilthorn, Brienzer Rothorn, Niesen and Niederhorn. You can find more options in the the attached brochure from Interlaken Tourism.

If you need to rent a mobility scooter, you can try out this local service.

Hope this helps you to plan your trip.

Regards,

Anna

Macmcmahon21
    Participant
    2 posts
    14 June 2022 at 7:38:06 #943202

Hi Anna, thanks for the reply , from the information I’ve found out so far I think I will rent him a basic mobility scooter , he can walk short distances but nothing too far and I want him to be able get the most from his visit, so as long as we can get the scooter onto the trains and hopefully then into the cable carts and gondolas we should be fine, even if we can’t get it into the gondolas we might be able to leave it at the station below with staff until we get back down maybe , thanks again.

• The thread ‘Grindelwald and mountain lifts with a wheelchair’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.