Grindelwald or Breinz first week of April?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2016 at 22:48:32 #808316

Hello,

I am seeking some advice on place to stay for my 5n/6d trip in apr 1st week. I initially preferred Grindelwald as it is close to Jungfrau top. However, I wonder if Breinz would turn out to be better option as well. I am inclining towards Breinz, as it appears to me that there is nothing much to do in Grindelwald as First is closed during April (Apr1-Apr6). I am going with a 4yr old kid, so trekking/hiking are out of my plan. Here is my high level itinerary with two options:

GRINDELWALD:

1) DAY 1: Zurich to Luzern. Visit near by places like Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument etc.

2) DAY 2: Trip to Mt.Titlis

3) DAY 3: Luzern to Grindelwald via Golden pass line.

4) Day 4: Visit Mt.JungFrauJoch

5) DAY 5: <<OPEN for suggestions >>

6) DAY 6: Grindelwald to Zurich Airport

BREINZ

1) DAY 1: Zurich to Luzern. Visit near by places like Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument etc.

2) DAY 2: Trip to Mt. Titlis

3) DAY 3: Luzern to Brienz via Golden pass line. Lake side walk.

4) Day 4: Visit Mt. JungFrauJoch.(Journey time to Jungfraujoch is increased by 1hr 30min each way, if I stay in Brienz)

5) DAY 5: Visit the Lake. Take a boat ride on Lake Brienz. Seems Open-Air Museum Ballenberg, Rothorn Railway during closed during this time of April :(.

6) DAY 6: Brienzto Zurich Airport

I am looking for 3 days stay at either Grindelwald or Brienz as I do not want to miss out JungFrauJoch. This way I will have a reserve day in case weather turns down on me. Can someone please suggest on places to visit in BREINZ/GRINDELWALD. Which one should I go for? Thanks in advance!

Regards

RAJ

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 January 2016 at 13:17:24 #847933

Hello Raj,

As it’s low season, a town located more centrally than Grindelwald can be an advantage indeed. Mind that it concerns only one day in your itinerary, so you don’t need that many options to fill your travel scheme.

Let’s discuss Brienz (not Breinz) first. Staying there allows you to travel towards Meiringen and a couple of beautiful railroad passes, but these too may be closed in April. The Ballenberg Museum opens by mid-April, the Reichenbach funicular does so by the end of the month, the Brienz Rothorn Bahn opens in May, so you’ll miss out on these activities. The Hasliberg cable cars are operational though, and of course you can make a boat trip over the lake. I’ve stayed in Brienz myself in by and April/beginning of May and definitely liked it.

In terms of being located centrally there are other alternatives. Arno suggested Interlaken in your previous thread. It’s not that scenic, but it does allow you to easily travel to other directions. Spiez and Thun can be recommended too. All these towns allow for easy day trips to Bern and even to the Valais, either through the quick tunnel connection or through the scenic “Lötschberg RegioExpress” passing Kandersteg and Goppenstein.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2016 at 16:43:14 #847934

Hello Annika,

Sorry,I took so long to respond. Was sorting out my bookings. I thank you for prompt and valuable advise. I think I made my mind to stay at Brienz (thanks for the correction, hope I got it right this time ;-)). Unfortunately, my travel dates do not look flexible now. So have to stick with the dates mentioned. Just wanted to know more about the Golden Pass Line. Now that my plan changed to stay at Brienz, will my travel from Luzern to Brienz via Golden Pass line be scenic enough as compared to what it could be if I travel upto Grindelwald. If not, can I hope that my travel to Jungfraujoch to cover that?

Here is my itinerary:

2) DAY 2: Trip to Mt. Titlis

3) DAY 3: Luzern to Brienz via Golden pass line. Visit the Lake. Take a boat ride on Lake Brienz.

4) Day 4: Visit Mt. JungFrauJoch.

5) DAY 5: Visit Bern, Bear Park? OR Harder Kulm ? (SORRY- one more question here. Which one is preferable)

6) DAY 6: Brienz to Zurich Airport.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME.

–Raj

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 February 2016 at 14:04:01 #847935

Hi Raj,

No problem at all, as you can do a round trip via Grindelwald on the day you visit Jungfraujoch. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e.

Regarding Bern versus the Harder Kulm: these are two totally different trips. It’s really up to you what you like best. A beautiful old town center versus a viewing point with the option to hike a bit. The Bear Park won’t take all day. Just an hour or less will do, but the rest of the town is very nice.

Which hotel did you book in Brienz?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2016 at 14:14:47 #847936

Thanks a lot, Annika. That helps, really. Hotel name is “Holiday Apartment Bellevue“. Hope I have made a good choice 😉

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 February 2016 at 15:22:48 #847937

It’s a good choice indeed. The lake view is wonderful and it’s only a few minutes on foot to the rail station, boat dock, and Brienzer Rothorn cogwheel train. I think I stayed in a different property of the same owner once.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2016 at 15:51:45 #847938

Sounds great, thanks. I will be working on my travel plans next and might bother you again ;-). Highly appreciate your valuable inputs. Thank You So Much!

• The thread ‘Grindelwald or Breinz first week of April?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.