Grindelwald-Kleine Scheidegg & Swiss Travel Pass

• CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    22 September 2018 at 15:21:00 #818480

I’m just a bit confused on trying to sort out whether I can take the train from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg using my Swiss Travel Pass. Planning a visit in early October, and using Lucerne as a base. My wife & I took a ski trip to Grindelwald several years back and always wanted to return in the off season, so this year we’re going to do that. In checking the SBB timetable, I can find the various train times between Grindelwald & Kleine Scheidegg, but when I tried digging deeper, the only pricing information I found was for those holding Half-Fare cards (15.50 CHF one way).

So, does the Swiss Travel Pass cover the Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg train, and is that a different type of train (cog)? – Although I rode it once, frankly I forget since I was too busy looking at the scenery. We did the special train from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfrau during our winter visit – very impressive going through the mountain by the way – and won’t be doing that again, but I’m glad we had our ski jackets on for that.

Would it be better to head towards Kleine Scheidegg via Wengen? We never did see Wengen.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 17:14:29 #896714

Hi CabinJon,

The Swiss Travel Pass gets you 25% off the trip from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg. Noted here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

We often recommend going up one way and down the other (in your case up from Grindelwald and down to Wengen). Have a read through our page on getting to Jungfraujoch here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    23 September 2018 at 11:18:49 #896715

I guess my confusion was whether we could just take the train from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg and than back down vs. buying a ticket that would include the final leg from Kleine Scheidegg to the top of the mountain. Thanks for your response.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2018 at 11:49:36 #896716

Ah I see. Yes you can certainly just buy a ticket to Kleine Scheidegg. Any station on the way, beyond Grindelwald, is 25% off.

• The thread ‘Grindelwald-Kleine Scheidegg & Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.