Gruyères castle visit via a bus

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2019 at 4:38:56 #822617

May I ask which train destination do I type in to check on train fare to Montreux?
    There is Montreux CGN, Vieux, Les plache, Belmont but no Territet.

I plan to visit the medieval Gruyeres castle via a bus. May I ask if the Swiss Half Fare pass is valid on this bus?

Am I ablecto use the Swiss Half Fare pass to ride, on the Gruyeres Chocolate train or only included in the Swiss Pass

Merci

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 July 2019 at 9:56:11 #916783

May I ask which train destination do I type in to check on train fare to Montreux?

Montreux, Gare is the main station.

I plan to visit the medieval Gruyeres castle via a bus. May I ask if the Swiss Half Fare pass is valid on this bus?

Should be.

Am I able to use the Swiss Half Fare pass to ride, on the Gruyeres Chocolate train or only included in the Swiss Pass

See http://www.goldenpass.ch/en/g oldenpass/offer/view?id=15 for Chocolate Train fares (see left of page).

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 July 2019 at 12:28:19 #916784

Hi Ginger 62,

I noticed that you asked about fares to Montreux, but you want to visit the castle in Gruyères. Those are two different places. Montreux has a castle of it’s own: Chillon.

Swiss Half Fare Card coverage can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/validi ty. All regular bus services are discounted.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 July 2019 at 0:25:32 #916785

Bonjour, Ginger –

<<” plan to visit the medieval Gruyeres castle via a bus. “>>

Most go by train……..May I ask why you chose a bus?

Merci vielmal,

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 1:02:25 #916786

Thank you for letting me know that I can go via train. Saw in an article at go beyond. Com stating to use the bus opposite the cheese factory.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 1:18:15 #916787

May I ask which is the nearest station in Montreux as I will stay at Montreux Youth Hostel?
    Is it Montreux Les planche?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 July 2019 at 3:22:57 #916788

Bonjour,

Get off at the Montreux Territet gare (train station). From there it is a short (about 5 minutes) walk to the Auberge de Jeunesse. It is located at 8, Passage de l’Auberge.

Be sure to ask about the Riviera Card ! http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux/hotels

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 July 2019 at 6:15:21 #916789

Well, it’s a short walk from the Gruyères train station, where the cheese factory is, to the medieval town. I think there are buses for who can’t or don’t want to walk. The article may have referred to those. So it’s almost all train and optionally a short bus ride.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2019 at 7:33:32 #916790

Article is at gobeyondbounds.com/gru yeres-castle-switzerland/. Short bus ride indeed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 9:28:59 #916791

Thank you so much for the info on the Rivera card.
    It’s mentioned free on Zone 70, 72 till 78.
    May I ask if Grureyes and Sion fall into these zone?

Many thanks again

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 July 2019 at 10:18:05 #916792

Hi Ginger-

Your question led me to look at two maps:

map.search.ch/?pos=572680,159057&z=51 2

In this map and the next one, switch back and forth between the aerial view and the map view to get a full impression.

In that first mapsearch.ch map, there are icons for the train station and the bus stops. Mouse over the icons for the bus/train route numbers. You also get the exact official name for the station/stop, which you can use in the SBB timetable to set start and destination locations and get travel times and times/schedules

You will see that it is about a 1 km walk by a twisty road from the train station to the medieval town and castle.

What is not clear from that map is the altitudes. However, the twisty road is a clue that there is a hill.

So, I looked at this much more detailed topographic map, which shows altitudes:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.sw isstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2572300.5 9&N=1159149.97&zoom=10 &layers_visibility=fal se

The train station is at 746 meters altitude. The castle is at 830 meters… an 84 meter climb. The town is a bit lower than the castle itself, which is at the highest point.

Both maps show about a 1 km walk from the station to the town and castle. In the second map I have turned on “hiking trails.” It thus shows a trail route which does not follow the road, and has a good part of its climb close to the station

The trails are yellow, which means they are not rough surfaces and do not require special hiking gear or boots. You may turn them on and off in the menu.

Although the altitude number is not shown, by using the topographic map’s contour lines, I can see that the last bus stop is at about 80 meters. So, the bus saves you about a 54 meters +/- climb and most of the 1 km walk.

If you like a little bit of exercise, walk. If you are comfortable with the wait for the bus, and don’t want the climb, ride. The bus schedule will be posted at the train station. Often, that sort of shuttle bus is timed to match train arrivals, so , if you think you want to ride the bus, make sure to look for it and go quickly to it when you get off the train.

Gruyeres will be full of tourists, but is still a very nice place to visit.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 10:38:00 #916793

😂 Haha. Thanks for letting me know. I certainly prefer to walk. I was at Grindelwald n Zermatt rsame time last year..
    Great to just walk n walk and enjoy the fresh air n beauty around.
    Merci

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 July 2019 at 12:56:05 #916794

No, those towns are not included, only the surrounding region. You can check the map through Peterli’s link.

• The thread ‘Gruyères castle visit via a bus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.