About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Heat wave and air-conditioning on Swiss trains
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Heat wave and air-conditioning on Swiss trains

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
JeremySimons
JeremySimons
20 posts
Jul 9, 2022 - 5:32 PM

I will be traveling the last two weeks of July and notice that the predictions are for a heat wave. For example it is supposed to be 90F (32 C) in Zurich on the 19th. Will the trains to Bern be air conditioned? Hopefully it will be cooler in the mountains, but Basel is supposed to reach 97F (36C).

I am hoping that the predictions are inaccurate, but i am a little worried considering that most places in Europe do not seem to be air conditioned. Or is it maybe less humid than here in Philadelphia.

Anna
Anna
3892 posts
expert &
Jul 9, 2022 - 7:44 PM in reply to JeremySimons

Hi JeremySimons,

No worries. Almost all the intercity trains are now air-conditioned. Heatwave is becoming a common problem here unfortunately, and temperatures have reached 36C degrees as early as May.

Enjoy your trip!

Anna

1960man
1960man
4359 posts
expert
Jul 9, 2022 - 9:47 PM in reply to JeremySimons

Hot periods of weather in Switzerland can be equally as humid as Philly. Your notion of European trains is probably out of date. Nearly all European trains are now air conditioned

Last modified on Jul 9, 2022 - 9:48 PM by 1960man
JeremySimons
JeremySimons
20 posts
Jul 9, 2022 - 11:46 PM

Thank you Anna and 1960man. That is very reassuring.

I have always experienced beautiful cool weather in my past visits to Europe in the summer, so I was not expecting to come during a heat wave - even though I have read about them. Of course it is always hot here in the summer, so it is not as if I am not used to the heat. I am so looking forward to this visit!

Thank you!

Arno
Arno
15681 posts
expert &
Jul 10, 2022 - 10:54 AM in reply to JeremySimons

Hi JeremySimons,

Yes, heat waves do occur in Europe. And they can happen more frequently due to climate change (www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/nature/environment/globalwarming). Good to hear you're used to high temperatures. Enjoy your stay in Switzerland!

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
262 posts
top member
Jul 10, 2022 - 9:46 PM

Hi Jeremy,

We were in Switzerland during a hot spell some years ago and and found the heat in the cities difficult to manage. We'd flown from an Australian winter with temps around 15c, to Zurich at about 30c and no aircon in the hotel room. It took us a week to acclimatize. In Bern we took a selfie out our hotel window only to later realize that a male guest of the hotel opposite had been walking around his room naked with the window wide open! Needs must.

Hopefully it will be cooler in the mountains, the temperature will drop 1c for every 100 meters of altitude gained so you'll still need to pack something warm for excursions to places like the Jungfraujoch and the Klein Matterhorn which can be more than 20c cooler than the valley floor.

Have fun!

Alan

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022