Heat wave and air-conditioning on Swiss trains

• JeremySimons
    Participant
    20 posts
    9 July 2022 at 17:32:46 #827727

I will be traveling the last two weeks of July and notice that the predictions are for a heat wave. For example it is supposed to be 90F (32 C) in Zurich on the 19th. Will the trains to Bern be air conditioned? Hopefully it will be cooler in the mountains, but Basel is supposed to reach 97F (36C).

I am hoping that the predictions are inaccurate, but i am a little worried considering that most places in Europe do not seem to be air conditioned. Or is it maybe less humid than here in Philadelphia.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    9 July 2022 at 19:44:26 #944132

Hi JeremySimons,

No worries. Almost all the intercity trains are now air-conditioned. Heatwave is becoming a common problem here unfortunately, and temperatures have reached 36C degrees as early as May.

Enjoy your trip!

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2022 at 21:47:21 #944133

Hot periods of weather in Switzerland can be equally as humid as Philly. Your notion of European trains is probably out of date. Nearly all European trains are now air conditioned

JeremySimons
    Participant
    20 posts
    9 July 2022 at 23:46:20 #944134

Thank you Anna and 1960man. That is very reassuring.

I have always experienced beautiful cool weather in my past visits to Europe in the summer, so I was not expecting to come during a heat wave – even though I have read about them. Of course it is always hot here in the summer, so it is not as if I am not used to the heat. I am so looking forward to this visit!

Thank you!

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 July 2022 at 10:54:44 #944135

Hi JeremySimons,

Yes, heat waves do occur in Europe. And they can happen more frequently due to climate change (http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/nature/environment/globalwarming). Good to hear you’re used to high temperatures. Enjoy your stay in Switzerland!

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    10 July 2022 at 21:46:32 #944136

Hi Jeremy,

We were in Switzerland during a hot spell some years ago and and found the heat in the cities difficult to manage. We’d flown from an Australian winter with temps around 15c, to Zurich at about 30c and no aircon in the hotel room. It took us a week to acclimatize. In Bern we took a selfie out our hotel window only to later realize that a male guest of the hotel opposite had been walking around his room naked with the window wide open! Needs must.

Hopefully it will be cooler in the mountains, the temperature will drop 1c for every 100 meters of altitude gained so you’ll still need to pack something warm for excursions to places like the Jungfraujoch and the Klein Matterhorn which can be more than 20c cooler than the valley floor.

Have fun!

Alan

• The thread ‘Heat wave and air-conditioning on Swiss trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.