Hediland and Reservations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2010 at 2:49:35 #803851

Hi,

I faced 1 difficulty making use of SBB timetable: Eg When I simply enter “St Moritz”, it present: “Please use the list below to narrow down your choice”, then, a list of St Moritz locations for me to choose. I used “St Moritz Bahnhof” and the query gets through. What is the right entry for St Moritz train station ?

I had my travel plan done, would anyone help me with the little details, please ?
    I am contemplating an enroute to Heidiland – a “squeezed” itinerary along the Glacier Express route. Please comment if my itinerary is do-able, rush pace or No-go. Any other comments is most appreciated.

Heidiland :

Is 2 – 2.5 hours for Heidiland ? I am not too sure what is there to do ? My desire to visit Heidiland is there, however video sources shows Heidiland is almost similar to other alps meadows landscape. My plan :

1. At St Moritz, catch early train (Dep-Arr): (7:02 – 9:37)am, or (8:02 – 1037)am to Maienfeld/Heidiland
    2. Spend 2~2.5 hours. Leave Maienfeld for Chur by the (1121 – 1138) train. Latest connection for me is (1149-1202) train.
    http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?seqnr=1&ident=mm.04297245.1275962058&REQ0HafasScrollDir=1
    3. Catch the 1237 Glacier Express to Zermatt.

Can I proceed without reservations for the following ride ?

William Tell Express Route:
    Is the official William Tell Express boat for boarding with reservation ONLY ? Or is the upper 1st class deck for reservation while the lower deck is opened for local commuters and free for Swiss Pass without reservations ? If not, which boat can I made use of to Fluelen without reservation ?

Bernina Express Route:
    I will reserve the bus 5950 from Lugano(Dep 10am) to Tirano (Arr 1pm). At Tirano take the 1340hr Regio (R1656) to St Moritz instead of the Bernina Express Train. Is the route and scenary same Regio and Bernina Express ?

Thanks for you help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2010 at 10:10:09 #831360

In anwswer to the second part of your question
    The William Tell uses a regular service steamboat. You can ride upstairs if you have a 1st class ticket. No reservations are necessary.
    Yes the route and scenery are the same on the regio and the Bernia Express. You can also ride the Bernia Express in the first cars (not the panoramic cars) without a reservation.

Annika
    7103 posts
    8 June 2010 at 13:43:27 #831361

Hi libbis!

First of all, a note on the timetable: simply select ‘St. Moritz’ from the drop down list. There are lots of bus stations in St. Moritz, that’s why the timetable asks you to make a choice. ‘St. Moritz’ indicates the main railway station. ‘St. Moritz Bahnhof’ indicates the immediate area around the main railway station, including the bus station (which is at a few minutes’ walk from the railway track).

Heidiland is the name for a holiday region around Bad Ragaz. It’s a beautiful region and although you won’t find the highest snow-capped peaks here, the fresh green landscape is definitely worth a visit. The Walensee is beautiful and if you spend only a few hours in this area, I’d recommend that you get to this lake and take a hike along one of the shores. Maybe this map will help you select some hikes and activities. It’s in German only, but the icons may help you out. Please refer to the Heidiland website as well. A 2 to 2,5 hours stop here allows you to take a short hike or get up to a viewing point, such as the Flumserberg. In Maienfeld, a visit to the ‘Heidi village‘ is an option as well. I’m not sure how long such a visit would take.

For the Glacier Express, seat reservation is obligatory. You can also catch a regular train on the same route. A Glacier Express train has larger panoramic windows, and in 1st class audio information on the surroundings is available. From Chur, a Glacier Express leaves for Zermatt at 12.27. Please check the Glacier Express timetable for more information.

• The thread ‘Hediland and Reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.