Help Glacier Express reservation for Sept 15 2018

• StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    16 June 2018 at 1:00:37 #816671

I need some help booking a reservation for Glacier Express.

I have been following this site for a couple of months and see lots of inquiries about this and didn’t think I would have an issue. I thought I could make a reservation for Glacier Express 90 days before departure.

I am suppose to depart Zermatt on Sept 15. It didn’t let me make a reservation this morning, and I tried again this evening now that it is June 16th there, thinking another day would make a difference but still won’t let me make reservation. Also the early train on Sept 14 days not enough seats for me to book (1) seat there?

Thank you,

Steve

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2018 at 2:15:32 #888421

Hi Steve,

I don’t know what you are doing wrong.

When I look at the Glacier Express reservation site for 15 Sep 2018, both the 8:52 and 9:52 from Zermatt to St Moritz have seats available in both first and second class:

• 8:52 1st class – 10 seats
    • 8:52 2nd class – 19 seats
    • 9:52 1st class – 7 seats
    • 9:52 2nd class – 16 seats

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en

If you are still having problems, can you please be specific about what website you are on, which departure time you want, what your destination is, and how many seats you need to book. Are you doing “reservation only”, or also trying to buy a ticket?

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 June 2018 at 4:11:27 #888422

As Alpenrose says it should be fairly straight forward. But there have been a couple of reports recently (can’t quite find the link) of people having difficulty with the Glacier Express shop. One person reported they rang RHB on +41 81 288 65 65 to get it sorted out. Others report making reservations via HappyRail with no problem.

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    16 June 2018 at 23:44:53 #888423

Thank you @Alpenrose666 and @rockoyster, I made my reservation for the Glacier Express. Now I need to get a reservation for the Bernina Express from Davos to Lugano. I understand I need to make sure I get a reservation for the bus portion is separate? I am going to try and figure out and If I can’t I may post on a new thread.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 June 2018 at 0:03:18 #888424

Here‘s a good place to start.

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    17 June 2018 at 0:37:59 #888425

@rockoyster, I think I did it and I think i purchased the ticket and reservation for Davos to Lugano.

1 seat reservation in the panoramic train from Davos Platz to Tirano in the 1 class excl ticket $14.00

1 seat reservation in the panoramic train from Tirano, Stazione to Lugano in the 1 class excl. ticket $14.00

1 Ticket from Davos Platz to Lugano, Stazione, 1 Class Half-fare card $57.50

Am I reading this correct resevations for both train and bus plus ticket?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 June 2018 at 1:21:13 #888426

Looks about right except that there is no 1st Class on the bus Tirano to Lugano.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2018 at 2:47:30 #888427

Hi Steve,

>> 1 seat reservation in the panoramic train from Davos Platz to Tirano in the 1 class excl ticket $14.00

I assume this is on the 9:53 Bernina Express train from Davos Platz to Tirano.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2018 at 14:40:25 #888428

I also experienced problems trying to reserve 1st class seats in the Glacier Express – in my case St. Moritz to Brig on Sept 13th for 10.19 train – 2 passengers. I waited for 1st day of reservations to be open but was told there weren’t enough seats available. I thought this was a bit strange that all seats would be gone so quickly so tried again next day with same result. In the end I phoned today to try to sort it but lady I spoke to (her English was excellent by the way) confirmed that no seats were available. She said possibly a group booking had taken all the seats. She then checked the 9.15 train for me and seemed to be having difficulty there as well but eventually was able to find me the required window seats on this train. So I accepted those and left my name, address and credit card details. She gave me a reservation number so that I can collect the paperwork in St. Moritz and pay for them there. I don’t need tickets as I have the STP 1st class. I used the phone number in Rockoyster’s post.

Maggie

PS I now need to find out whether it is possible to send my luggage from hotel (or station) to railway station in Thun. Express door to door service would be difficult as there will be nobody at apartment to receive the luggage!

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    17 June 2018 at 15:09:09 #888429

@alpenrose, yes the 9:53 Bernina Express from Davos Platz to Tirano…Train Number 961.

I will be staying in Filisur on the 16th. My plan is the take a regional train from Filisur to Davos Platz the morning of the 17th and be there in time to board Bernina Express at 9:53.

@maggiehorswell, I don’t remember what site I was on but yes the day that it was available to reserve tickets for Glacier Express, the earlier train claimed there was not enough seats available to reserve me (solo) but the later train have a couple aisle seats. Alpenrose had a link that was better but was still unable to reserve a solo seat in 1st class.

I have been following posts on this site for a couple months, I think alpenrose and rockoyster could start a travel company booking train tickets for people and charge a small commission. They have lots of knowledge.

• The thread ‘Help Glacier Express reservation for Sept 15 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.