HELP – I don”t Understand Swiss Rail!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2013 at 22:33:54 #805783

We are arriving in Zurich on April 7th at 11:00 am. We want to get to Lauterbrunnen from the Zurich Airport. From my research I believe it is easy but I can’t quite put the trains together. I would love DETAILED instructions on which line and train to take.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    29 January 2013 at 3:02:37 #838039

Hello erbson,

The Swiss Timetable can help you out, just fill out places and times, it will show you several numbered possibilities, just click the “+” below the number of the connection to see details.

Have a nice trip!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    29 January 2013 at 11:01:41 #838040

Hi erbson:
    Olga’s information is exactly right, many people don’t see the little + sign so don’t see all the connections.

For even more specific info, here’s a clip from a piece I have written up about getting to Wengen from the Zurich airport. Wengen is one stop further on than Lauterbrunnen, so just get off in Lauterbrunnen instead. This will give you some information that you won’t get on the sbb.ch site. (Since this is a cut and paste there may be some additional formatting symbols in the text below, just disregard those):

The SBB departs directly from the Zurich airport (“Flughafen”). When you get off the plane and clear customs, simply follow the “Bahn” signs toget to the station downstairs. Once there, buy and/or have your discount travelcard validated at any ticket window. (This is important – if you board the train without having your card validated at the window you can be subject to a 180 Euro fine.) Ask for a printed timetable for your trip to Wengen. Trains connecting to Wengen leave at least once an hour. You don’t need reservations as the trains departing from the airport are usually pretty empty. They pick up lots of passengers along on the way, many at the main train station (“Hauptbahnhof”) which is your first stop. Food and drinks are usually available on all longhaul trains, or you can buy something to take on-board with you at one of the many markets at the Zurich airport.

The train journey to Wengen takes three to four hours (depending on routing) and is beautiful, particularly the last hour when you travel right by the lakes (it’s amazing howclose the tracks are to the water, sometimes it looks like you’re floating!) and then up into the mountains. The trip usually requires at least three switches: usually one at Spiez or Berne, and always at Interlaken and at Lauterbrunnen. There are assistants at every Gleis (track) to help make sure you get on the right train. There are a couple of spots that are a bit tricky. The first tricky spot is Interlaken, where there are two stops – Interlaken West and Interlaken Ost (East). Stay on the train until you get to Ost, which is the last stop for the SBB. There you will change to the BOB train bound for Lauterbrunnen. This is the second tricky spot as the same train is also bound for Grindelwald; it stops and splits in a little place called Zweilütschinen (“Two Rivers”). One half of the train proceeds to Lauterbrunnen, where you want to go, and the other half goes to Grindelwald, where you don’t. So, you need to make sure you get on the correct end of the train in Interlaken. It is well marked and there are many assistants to help out so be sure to ask if you have any questions. They spend their entire day trying to keep tourists on the proper end of the train so don’t be shy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2013 at 11:19:06 #838041

WOW – thanks for all the help. Now I need to figure out how much it will cost!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    9 February 2013 at 11:31:21 #838042

You can get all fare info at http://www.sbb.ch. Fares default to half price since most everyone purchases a discount travel card such as a Half Fare Card

• The thread ‘HELP – I don”t Understand Swiss Rail!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.