Help Needed- Train from Paris to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2012 at 5:09:02 #805390

Hello,

Coming from Paris on the TGV – where should I buy the ticket to;

Some say buy a ticket from Paris to Pontarlier and the Swiss Passes will be valid the rest of the trip into Switzerland.

Is this the case?

Peter

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2012 at 8:25:41 #836497

Hello,

Coming from Paris on the TGV – where should I buy the ticket to;

Some say buy a ticket from Paris to Pontarlier and the Swiss Passes will be valid the rest of the trip into Switzerland.

Is this the case?

Peter

Hello Peter. We,re coming to Lausanne from Paris via Basel. We will start using our swiss pass at Basel. I think that you can activate your pass at the firt swiss city/town you come to.

Annika
    7124 posts
    18 June 2012 at 12:09:05 #836498

Hi Peter and aussie. That’s correct, the Swiss Pass will be valid from Basel, so you have to buy a regular ticket Paris-Basel. Some connections run via Geneva. In that case, you need an additional ticket from Paris to Geneva.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2012 at 2:29:38 #836499

Thanks Aussie & Annika,

Do all the swiss passes cover from the border into Switzerland?

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 June 2012 at 15:53:29 #836500

Hello collesseum. Yes, that’s pretty much how it works. You can download validity maps from each of our rail pass pages to review the exact coverage.

• The thread ‘Help Needed- Train from Paris to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.