help with booking the William Tell scenic train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2015 at 0:21:04 #806960

How do I book tickets for the William Tell train/boat ride, 5hours …to go from Lugano to Lucerne on may 22…yes I have been all over the sbb.ch site and cant figure it out. I have always booked all our travel on line but all these passes and discounts and trains have me really stuck. Hate to go to a travel agent, but this may just be the only way I will get anywhere. Can anyone please give me simple directions for booking 8 adults on this train in the morning of may 21 , from lugano to lucerne…thanks so much…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 March 2015 at 5:33:38 #841953

Hi Amanda27,

I tried and also have trouble booking the tickets, so this probably is a temporary technical issue. I’ll ask around and get back to you. Please note that booking this trip in advance is optional. Doing so will get you seat reservations and lunch. But you can also simply board the train and boat without reservations, assuming that you will have some kind of pass such as the Swiss Travel Pass. All details can be found here.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 March 2015 at 15:37:39 #841954

Hi again,

I got confirmed that it’s a technical issue that should be solved within a few days. I found the same problem on several websites. I’ll post back here when there’s more news.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 March 2015 at 13:43:06 #841955

Booking seems to be possible again. You need to go here (the Canadian site) and book a trip from ‘Bellinzona’ to ‘Lucerne-Boat Wmtell, Switzerland’. The section from Lugano to Bellinzona needs to be booked as a separate ticket, or you can just buy it when you’re there. That’s because the Wilhelm Tell Express train starts in Locarno and you’ll board it in Bellinzona.

Does this work for you now?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2015 at 15:58:25 #841956

I think it must be down again. I just tried to purchase a ticket and couldn’t.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 March 2015 at 9:57:12 #841957

Hi angelanorris,

I noticed you’re from the US, can you try this page to book? If that does not work for you, please let me know your travel date, arrival/destination station and whether you travel with a rail pass and which one.

Thanks!

Arno

• The thread ‘help with booking the William Tell scenic train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.