Help with 1 day itinerary around Montreux

• Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    27 June 2018 at 12:42:12 #816920

Hi, I’m planning one day trip from Zermatt to Montreux . I would like to walk ( a little ) through vineyards , swim in lake and may go Chillon Castle . I don’t like to rush myself . I would rather see less than just put mental mark “ I was there “ . Would you help me organize this little trip . I read a lot about the place but still . Thank you .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 19:01:14 #889556

Hi Nbunim,

I’ll post our activity suggestions for Montreux first: https://www.myswissalp s.com/montreux/activit ies

You can certainly take a hike through the vineyards, perhaps here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/lutry-epesses

There is also a nearby cheese factory (in Gruyeres) and a chocolate factory (in Broc) if that appeals to you at all?

Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    27 June 2018 at 20:43:27 #889557

How far is cheese factory and how the get there ? And how can I get from train station to vineyards? I read it’s by bus / train . And how do I get to Castle from vineyard? Or I have to do it in different order ?

Would appreciate your answer . Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 6:02:30 #889558

The Cheese factory is in Gruyeres, called La Maison Du Gruyere. Use the Swiss railways timetable to find train/bus connections to the factory street address: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable (a little more than an hour to Gruyeres station from Montreux).

Getting to the vineyards is noted on the link I gave you – click the route tab. From there to the castle you can also use the timetable. Just enter your starting station or town and enter: Chateau de Chillon (http://www.myswissalps.com/chilloncastle) as the destination.

Cheers!

Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    28 June 2018 at 11:02:14 #889559

Train/ bus timetables I know . I thought you can give me expert advice on itenarary . I have only one day there . Otherwise I would be fine .

Thank you anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 15:45:09 #889560

Oh. I was replying to your request on how to get to those destinations. 😉

Personally, I wouldn’t try to do all 3 trips in one day. But if you don’t mind a long day and a bit of rushing you can fit it in. I’m not one that is too interested in castles (except trying to take a nice picture) so I’d focus on the other 2 options.

Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    28 June 2018 at 19:09:32 #889561

Thank you . Other choices are vineyard and swimming . How can I combine them and where is swimming spot you would recommend if you will .?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 19:38:46 #889562

I haven’t been swimming in Montreux so have no personal experience.

There is a list of options for you here: https://www.montreuxri viera.com/en/Z5110
    Once you pick the pool or beach you want to visit then you can plan your trip (to or from) the vineyards or elsewhere with the timetable.

Perhaps combine the swim with the castle if you decide to do that in the afternoon (when it should be warmer) and then possibly first thing in the morning a chocolate / cheese factory visit.

Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    28 June 2018 at 19:57:05 #889563

Thank you . Appreciated

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 June 2018 at 23:59:12 #889564

Hi Nbunim-

I am confused.

Do you wish to go to and from Montreux/Zermatt in the same day?

if so, what is the earliest time that you would leave Zermatt? Latest return time?

And, considering that you can swim many places in the world, how high is your priority to swim in the cold glacial waters of Lake Geneva ( Lac Leman)?

Would you give up swimming to spend more time seeing Swiss sights? Or, vice versa?

Slowpoke

Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    29 June 2018 at 2:05:19 #889565

Hi , I’m always in Zermatt in the summer . This year I decided to do one dat trip per say . Would like to walk trough vineyards . Couldn’t find them closer to Zermatt . I’ve seen them but only from the train window . Swimming not a must .

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 June 2018 at 5:28:38 #889566

Hi Nbunim,

If your priority is vineyards there is no need to go all the way to Montreux, although it could be a nice day trip. There is also a small vineyard area around Visp and Visperterminen, which is much closer to Zermatt.

I don’t have a specific hike to suggest, but the above links should help to get started. Also the Zermatt tourist office should be able to help or refer you to the best tourist office (the one in Visp will know for sure).

• The thread ‘Help with 1 day itinerary around Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.