Help with train rides and tips – thanks

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2010 at 6:59:00 #803890

Hello It’s my time in Switzerland and need help and tips. I will arrive in Brazil on 02 October and will stay 07 days in Switzerland This is my script:
    02 October: from Zurich Airport to Lucerne
    03 October: Lucerne
    October 04: Lucerne to Interlaken
    October 05: Interlaken
    06 October: Interlaken to Zermatt
    07 October: Zermatt
    08 October: Zurich to Zermatt
    09 October: from Zurich airport and return to Brazil.
    Swiss Saver Pass bought for me and my wife 08 days of second class.
    I have doubts:
    1. I need reservations for the trains between the cities in this period? How to proceed at the train station, just validate the Swiss Pass and get on trains?
    2. What suggestions for walks in the free days in Lucerne, Interlaken and Zermatt?
    3. I thought of Gornergrat in Zermatt. I need to buy early from Brazil?
    Thank you in advance and much attention.
    Thank you.
    Eduardo – Brazil

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    5 July 2010 at 3:10:36 #831489

Hello Eduardo,

If I understand right you and your wife already have a Swiss Saver Pass for the duration of your stay in Switzerland.
    There will be no necessity to reserve seats for the trains you mentioned. As long as you don’t want to travel with scenic trains, this will work without any problem.
    You might find some answers though on the Railway FAQ.

Validation of your pass varies depending on where you purchased your Pass.
    It’s just important that you validate it before boarding the first train you use with the Pass. If you are in doubt about how to validate it, you can always ask the railway personnel at Zürich airport. They will be glad to help you.

Your second question, concerning what to do in or around Lucerne:

• strolling along the old town centre and the famous Kappel bridge near the central railway station;
    • a boat ride on the lake;
    • Mt. Pilatus, accessible by either a steep cog railway track from Alpnachstadt or cable car from Kriens (close to Lucerne). In clear weather, even the Bernese Alps can be seen from this viewing point;
    • Mt. Rigi, another beautiful viewing point above lake Lucerne, accessible by cog railway from Arth-Goldau or Vitznau;
    • the ‘Verkehrshaus‘, a large museum on Swiss traffic and traffic history, which is very interesting for children as well.

You may want to take a look at the Lucerne tourism website as well for more tips.

For the Interlaken region/Jungfrau region, please view the tips given here!

No, you don’t have to make reservations for the Gornergratbahn in Zermatt. Once you are in Zermatt, you will find the way to the ticket office for the Gornergratbahn without any problem. It’s indicated near the railway station, that really can’t miss (across the street)! And if you are still considering it: just go there. It’s a beautiful ride by a cog railway and – especially when the weather is fine – you will never be sorry.

Have fun, I hoped I helped a little!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2010 at 6:52:57 #831490

Thanks Olga.
    How is my first time in Switzerland and first time with a rail pass I doubt how to proceed at the train station. Then after validating the pass, go and get on the train. Can I choose any seat (as I do not need reservation) and sit down?
    About the tours in Lucerne and Interlaken, I have to buy / book here in Brazil or I can decide when on these locations, in October?I
    t is possible to rent bike in Lucerne or Interlaken or Zermatt?
    About Gornergrat, I am relieved to be able to buy directly in Zermatt, do not require advance purchase here in Brazil.
    Thanks and good day for everybody!
    Eduardo – Brazil

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    5 July 2010 at 7:27:02 #831491

Hello Eduardo,

Yes, when no reservation is required you can sit where ever there’s place. Of course you are supposed to take a seat in second class if your Pass is a second class Pass 😉 – but that goes for itself.

None of the tours I mentioned require booking and even if that were the case, I would just see how the weather is and depending on that, make a choice.

Yes, you can rent bikes in Lucerne, in Interlaken and in Zermatt

I can understand you are glad not having to make reservations for Gornergrat. Sometimes life is easier than you think :-). Have fun, Eduardo!

Olga

• The thread ‘Help with train rides and tips – thanks’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.