Hiking advice, Jungfrau?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2011 at 17:55:36 #804294

Hi, I’m planning a trip to Europe in late September with my brother. I would like to do a short hike, max length of about 4 miles total. We’ll have a car and be driving from Lausanne to Lucerne, then north to Nurburg. What hike would you suggest that has the most amazing scenery?

It seems we can take a train from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch. Is there a ~4 mile hike (roundtrip!) from there? Would it be too cold?

Note we don’t go hiking very often (hence the 4 mile total limit), but we are 28 and 30, so we should manage ok.

Thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2011 at 19:59:38 #832837

Hmm, I found this…
    http://luxuryexperience.com/adventures/adventures_category/hiking_jungfraujoch,_switzerland.html
    Maybe there is plenty to do at Jungfraujoch that a hike is not necessary? It sounds like a fun place!

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 May 2011 at 3:02:10 #832838

Hi NateS,

A trip to the Jungfraujoch can indeed be fully enjoyed without hiking. Also, the options are limited as this is a high Alpine environment with snow and thin air that doesn’t allow for regular hiking. The only somewhat regular route I know of is walking to the Mönchsjoch Hütte and back. I think it’s about an hour (one way). If you just want a beautiful trail that’s not covered in snow, you can best look at our hiking suggestions for the Bernese Oberland or one of the other regions. If the weather is clear, walking from the Niederhorn is something I can recommend.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2011 at 9:29:24 #832839

Hi Arno, thanks for the reply! 🙂

I’ve been super busy planning my trip. I need to cover a lot of ground — over 15 days I’m driving Munich, Graz, Venice, Como, Interlaken, Lucerne, Nurburg, Amsterdam — so I have limited time at each stop. I ended up planning to check out Jungfraujoch, but I won’t have enough time at Interlaken for a hike. Instead, I am planning to drive through the Black Forest and fulfill my hiking needs there. I know that isn’t the Swiss Alps, but would you happen to have any suggestions on a great hike in the Black Forest? I’ll be driving through south to north and can stop anywhere south of Baiersbronn. I have up to maybe 6 hours max for a hike. I need to build up an appetite for Schwarzwaldstube in the evening! 😀

Googling around I found this which sounds fun. I’d prefer researching it beforehand, but I suppose in the worst case I can stop at a tourist office and get a (possibly random) recommendation.

Thanks again for your help! 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 May 2011 at 2:30:10 #832840

Hi NateS,

That’s quite a trip. You almost deserve a holiday just to recover from all that 😉 Anyway, I’m not familair with hiking in the Black Forest. I can recommend this restaurant, but that’s about it. I do know that hiking is pretty well organized in Germany, similar to Switzerland. It shouldn’t be a problem to get suggestions and a map from a local tourist office.

Enjoy your journey!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2011 at 4:36:58 #832841

Thanks Arno! 🙂

• The thread ‘Hiking advice, Jungfrau?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.