Hiking around Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2012 at 2:06:06 #805213

Hello all,

I plan to go hiking a round trip from Zermatt to Sunnegga on May 21 because the train is at rest.
    How long it takes and is it difficult for a non-frequent hiker?

I also plan to walk from Rotenboden to Riffelalp on May 22.
    Besides, I will buy a return train ticket from Zermatt to Gornergrat.
    From Gornegrat to Rotenboden, I will take the train.
    From Rotenboden to Riffelberg, I will walk.
    From Riffelberg to Zermatt, I will take the train again.
    Is a return ticket allow me to drop off and then take the train like above?
    If not, is there any clear hiking trail from Gornergrat to Rotenboden? If so, how long it takes to walk and is if difficult for a non-frequent hiker?

Many thanks.

Teta

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    22 April 2012 at 8:42:58 #835924

Hello Teta,

Indeed, I can’t find the summer timetable for the funicular Zermatt to Sunnegga either. Many means of mountain transportation are closed for maintenance somewhere between winter- and summer season.

You could contact the Zermatt Tourist Office by telephone or by e-mail, just to be certain about this funicular and about which hiking trails are expected to be open during your stay.

Do you mean you want to hike from Zermatt to Sunnegga and back? Be prepared to ascend and descent some 600 m. If you are a “non-frequent hiker”, it depends on you physical condition, I would say.

My guess is, you can hike from Rotenboden to Riffelalp this time of year. Please look at this page.

No problem to get off the train at one point and proceed at another point! (it may be wise to mention this to the train staff?).

Have a nice time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2012 at 11:06:45 #835925

Thx for your prompt advice,Wandermann

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2012 at 11:10:30 #835926

saved me creating a topic this did. looking to do the same sort of thing as you, but going in just over a week so hoping we can get to riffelsee ok by walking. just have to see how it works out with the weather
    was thinkin of getting to train to gornergrat, then maybe do the 3 hr hike down to zermatt. just suppose it depends on how much snow there is as to whether we can do the hike in normal walking shoes

also was gonna ask, do you have to pay to hike in certain area’s as seen hiking passes on certain websites

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    23 April 2012 at 12:13:22 #835927

Hello Matt,

Many years ago we wanted to go down from Gornergrat and walk to one of the lower Gornergrat railway stations (don’t remember which one), but we missed it. We had to walk all the way down to Zermatt.
    What a memorable experience that was! It was hot (high season), long, and we didn’t wear proper shoes (nowadays we are better prepared). Afterwards it was fun to remember the huge blisters and the muscle aches the following days.

I do hope you can make this hike, but I’m wondering, what are “normal walking shoes”? I suggest you wear good fitting and water resistant high hiking or mountain shoes, as there will most probably still be snowfields to cross. Two years ago (second half of May) we went through knee-deep snow at an altitude of about 1.600 m.

Have a great time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2012 at 17:10:50 #835928

knee deep, that must have been fun

as for normal walking shoes, i mean these

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-summit-waterproof-mens-walking-shoes-183105

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2012 at 20:27:07 #835929

Hi to you all,re Zermatt-Sunnegga hike/funicular.
    I am [also] considering the hike “Riffelalp[or Rotenboden] to Sunnegga, then funicular back nto Zermatt in JULY. On the official swiss timetable site ,for my requirements[Sunnegga to Zermatt] a timetable can be found for July. I put in from Sunnegga zbag-zsb to Zermatt. Also tried the reverse[zermatt zbag-zsb to sunnegga zbag-zsb] no problems bringing up a timetable…I might add you have a 10 min walk to/from Zermatt to Zermatt zbag-zsb. Do you all know something I don’t about the funicular’s summer timetable? Is what I have found on official site not accurate? Should I have consulted elsewhere?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2012 at 1:05:55 #835930

Is that right no hiking pass is required to hike form Rotenboden to Riffelalp and from Furi to Zermatt?

Annika
    7124 posts
    24 April 2012 at 6:03:48 #835931

Hi all. A timetable for summer and spring 2012 can be found at this web page, by clicking ‘Sunnegga-Rothorn’. Rides up to Sunnegga can be made from May 26. Before this time it will indeed be closed down due to maintenance. The information mbear12 found through the Swiss timetable is correct too.

No, hiking passes are not required. You only need to pay for the rides up or down from the stations along the Gornergrat train line.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2012 at 9:57:53 #835932

thanks annika

tetati – ill let you no if i do this hike and let you no how it goes

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    24 April 2012 at 10:28:50 #835933

[quote]matt-uk said: knee deep, that must have been fun
    as for normal walking shoes, i mean these
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-summit-waterproof-mens-walking-shoes-183105%5B/quote%5D

Hi Matt,

You suggested you are going to adapt your hikes to the shoes in the link and that’s fine of course. But, if you are able to make the hike from Gornergrat to Zermatt, you might want to wear mountain boots (I think this is the proper English term), as they are more comfortable and safe.
    Just my two cents!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2012 at 10:59:03 #835934

thanks for the tips : )

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2012 at 8:16:44 #835935

tetati – some information for you
    just got back from switzerland and we were only allowed to hike down from riffelalp to zermatt due to lots of snow higher up. when you arrive in zermatt and purchase your gornergrat tickets you need to ask where you can hike back down from
    hope this helps

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2012 at 22:56:24 #835936

Matt-uk, thx for your kind reply. It really helps me a lot.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2012 at 5:43:39 #835937

not a problem : )

• The thread ‘Hiking around Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.