Hiking boots rental Grindelwald / First

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2014 at 5:16:05 #806464

Hi :>

I have some questions about hiking boots rental.

In my searching, there’s a free rental shop ( ‘Lowa’) at Schynigeplatte. But my tracking course is from First to Schynigeplatte so i want to rent shoes at First, if possible. I got some information about rental shop at First, but it’s too old information(2006), so i’m not sure.

Is there a rental shop at First still? If not, at any other place like Grindelwald or Interlaken?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    26 June 2014 at 4:26:57 #840306

I sort of doubt that there is rental at First since most folks that start at First only do the little walk to Bachalpsee and back which doesn’t require boots. Sorry I can’t answer that question directly, hopefully others can.

For sure you can rent boots at the various sport shops in Grindelwald. One can rent boots in the much smaller mountain villages of Wengen and Mürren so certainly in Grindelwald.

Where are you basing?

And why are you trekking First to SP direction? Much preferred the other way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2014 at 5:41:16 #840307

Thank you for your reply!

I saw a post about that course(First-SP) and thought that the course rate and scenery is exactly what i want. I’ll go through SP-Bachalpsee-First.

If I take the reverse course(SP-First) and take cable car from First to Grindelwald, i can take a trotti bike from Bort to Grindelwald which i really want. I heard that the reverse course is harder, have you ever been to that way?

Or.. can you recommend the other course? I prefer taking 6-7hours in not too much hard course.

My basement is in Interlaken so it’ll be good to rent boots at Grindelwald. Thank you for your information 😀

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    26 June 2014 at 17:20:50 #840308

Course from direction First to SP has views to your back. I also find it more difficult because there is too much downhill which just beats up your knees.

Whichever way you do the course it does take 6 – 7 hours unless you are a very experienced mountain hiker. It is challenging but there is no technical difficulty. Just a long route with ups and downs. If you don’t have much experience it may take you longer.

You can take the ski lift from First to Bort, exit there, then take trottibike from Bort to Grindelwald. Of course, you will pay extra for the trottibike as it is not a form of public transport therefore not covered by any passes.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    26 June 2014 at 17:59:07 #840309

Probably I’m reckless and this is bad advice but, on a nice day it’s not unusual to see people doing this in running shoes. Running.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    26 June 2014 at 19:59:18 #840310

Depends on the running shoe. And the runner.

Experienced local runner with shoes with deep lugs do fine. Occasional hikers, not so much. There is quite a bit of uneven footing.

Personally, I hike in hiking shoes with deep lugs/Vibram soles rather than boots. But I’ve been doing this regularly for 20 years so very steady on my feet on uneven terrain.

Very easy for OP to pick up Lowa rental shoes upon arrival in SP should he/she decide to go in that direction. Or in Grindelwald in opposite.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    27 June 2014 at 1:19:16 #840311

I understand your point of view Kim11. Maybe ‘running shoes’ is the wrong term. From what I’ve read most people are doing the PCT in ‘trainers’. That’s 3 months with a 40 lb pack. They seem reconciled to a pair lasting 500 miles. I wish them luck. I’ve blown out light shoes on long hikes more than once. But it’s a day hike you’re looking at, not mountaineering. There’s no rivers to ford. No scree. Could be a bit of mud here and there. Go with the real deal if it gives you a warm feeling. It’s safe to say you won’t be sorry. But I wouldn’t get bent about it.

By the way, it was something Kim11 wrote that put me onto that trail in the first place. Ta. Unlike her I cannot see any real difference which direction you choose.

• The thread ‘Hiking boots rental Grindelwald / First’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.