Hiking in the Jungfrau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2014 at 16:04:36 #806590

We will be spending six days in Murren in September (starting on August 30, in fact).
    Our plan is to hike around both sides of the valley. This might include, weather permitting :
    – Down to Lauterbrunnen and hike up to Murren trough ISenfluh and Grutshalp (as described by Kim in her report).
    – Hike up to Schilthorn, maybe down also.
    – Up the Jungfraujoch. On the way down hike from Eigergletscher down to Grindelwald.
    – Hike from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and to Mannlichen.
    – Hike from Grindelwald to First and then to the Bachalpsee.

What will we be missing?

What we usually do is we buy a good map that shows the trails and the elevations (such as the IGN maps in France), and we wander around. I imagine there is a similar king of map for the Jungfrau. Do you know where we could buy one? Any recommendation on trails or on other sources for information on trails (I’ve already looked at myswissalps.com/hiking).

Thank you all.
    Tina, counting the days …

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    23 August 2014 at 1:52:17 #840880

Hi Tina,

You don’t really need maps for any of these trails as they are well-marked. But, if you would prefer to have maps anyway you can buy them after you arrive.

A couple of comments on your plans:

Schilthorn: I’m assuming you are hiking up from Mürren? If so, it’s “only” about 4,000 feet of vertical ascent from there but it’s 7,000 from Lauterbrunnen or Stechelberg. I wouldn’t recommend hiking down. It is very steep in places and will just beat up your knees.

Eigergletscher down to Grindelwald is a LONG way down, like 4,000 feet of vertical descent. Another knee killer

Grindelwald up to First is 3500 feet of ascent, just so you know. The trail out to Bachsee is pretty flat, only about 300 feet of ascent.

Websites with additional information on hikes are activityworkshop.net and walkingswitzerland.com

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2014 at 15:22:03 #840881

Thanks Kim.
    Yes we will start the hike up the Schilthorn from Murren. And we do also prefer hiking up instead or hiking down whenever the trail is relatively steep. I remember your comments on that from your report. We will keep them in mind.

Bye for now

Tina

• The thread ‘Hiking in the Jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.