Hiking options in Wengen in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2019 at 19:06:21 #820211

Hello!

Me and my partner have booked a trip to wengen between 3rd-13th of May.

I was just wondering what are our options for hiking? We were really hoping to do the Mannlichen -> Kleine Scheidegg hike, but are getting mixed answers from the internet. Would this be possible to do in May? If the hike is “closed” does that mean it’s actually impossible to do or okay at your own risk? Some people say the cable car from wengen to Mannlichen is closed at these times which is also confusing me. If we can’t do the hike I would at least like to get up to Mannlichen for the views.

If this is the case what other options do we have? We didn’t really want to go in June as I don’t agree with the warmer weather, but I weren’t aware of the restrictions when I booked!

Thanks! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 March 2019 at 21:21:00 #905496

Hello Harrietrose and Welcome to MySwissAlps

The Wengen to Männlichen Cableway recommences operation on 11 May. It’s unlikely “Grannie’s Walk” will be open. Usually opens mid-June I believe.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2019 at 21:30:01 #905497

Thanks for the reply!! I can get the cableway up on the Saturday then, probably just have a wander round near Mannlichen. Hopefully I will be able to find some other good hikes with similar views 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 March 2019 at 21:43:31 #905498

Have you seen bit.ly/2rEl2YP? Sorry wrong link, I’ll find correct one.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 March 2019 at 21:48:48 #905499

Here it is bit.ly/2XAX3Jp. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2019 at 21:55:54 #905500

Thank you so much for your help! It’s greatly appreciated ☺️

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2019 at 10:55:02 #905501

Hello Harietrose,

For sure “just” enjoying the views from the Männlichen mountain station will be a wonderful option should the hike be closed.

To look into alternative hikes in the area use this link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/we ngen/activities
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

For general travelling times when heading towards your hikes, use advanced timetable in this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Enjoy exploring the area.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Hiking options in Wengen in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.