Hiking trail up Schilthorn or North Face

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 11:13:21 #813237

I will be in Gimmelwald the 22nd and am trying to figure out what hikes I want to do. I would love to be able to the do the hike up or down from the Schilthorn but am travelling with some people who might like an easier hike. Because of that I am looking into the north face trail as well which I’ve heard is both very scenic and an easy hike. However, I am concerned if the views for the north face trail match those of the schilthorn hike. Can anyone give me any info on how these hikes compare? Also would it be feasible to do the north face trail and hike to Bryndli, which I would really like to get to, when the path splits off, but then just hike back the way we came to finish the north face trail? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    12 September 2017 at 19:03:52 #869725

If you are talking about the North Face Trail that starts in Mürren and ends at Allmendhubel, yes, that is one of the most stunning view hikes in the region. Assuming the weather is clear, of course.

Gimmelwald up to Schilthorn is a long challenging, steep hike with steep drop offs. Only for experienced alpine hikers or mountain goats!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 21:32:19 #869726

Hey Kim – I just wanted to drop you a quick but heartfelt thank you for all the information you have generously shared about Wengen & environs over the years. I just returned last night from 2 weeks in Wengen – renting a chalet and hosting friends/family to celebrate a significant birthday. I contacted you several years ago (I was living in Los Gatos at the time) and using your detailed guide, planned & executed a most memorable holiday. We had a blast. I wouldn’t have changed a thing and your insights were most helpful. I can so easily understand why you return to Wengen again & again – it’s a terrific town and a great base from which to explore the entire region. We were lucky enough to enjoy the Unspunnen Festival & Jungfrau marathon as well. I cannot get over how much cheese, bread, pastry, wine, etc that we consumed – and I still dropped a couple of lbs with all the hiking! Just a great time. I was more than a little sad not to hear cow & sheep bells this morning with my coffee.

Again, many, many thanks for your guidance and insight & especially your generosity in sharing your knowledge.

Tschuss! Katie Anderson

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    13 September 2017 at 20:18:16 #869727

HI Katie, thank you for your lovely note! I am so happy you had a great time, it is truly a magical spot.

• The thread ‘Hiking trail up Schilthorn or North Face’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.