Hiking with Bettmeralp as base. Multiple questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2012 at 6:08:38 #805427

Google took me to your “how to prepare” page and then I found my way to this forum. Great place with lot of nice info! I live in Zurich and trying my best to explore different parts of Switzerland with each outing. So here I go with my questions….

I am in my 30s reasonably lean and fit. I will be staying in a hut in Bettmeralp for 7 nights (from 14th July) with my partner who is also fit. Our intention is to do plus minus 8 hours walking/hiking daily.

Q1- How best to utilize this time and get the most of the general region? How would you tackle the whole region in 7 days with Bettmeralp as base?

Q2- Hiking to Eggishorn related….

I am looking at this http://i.imgur.com/K3kqa.jpg
    and see that there are mountains like Eggishorn in the area. I also see that cable cars can take you straight up without any effort but I am not fully sure how difficult the hike up to the top would be? Is there even a safe path?

I don’t do rock climbing/mountaineering or anything difficult like that. Just walking walking walking in reasonably safe conditions. Would walking up be ok for someone like me from danger point of view? For comparison sake if hiking to Älplisee in Arosa is 3 out of 10 from danger/difficulty point of view then what would hiking to Eggishorn be?

Q3- How do I get to next to Aletsch glacier and Fiescher glaciers? Are there safe hiking options?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to any of my points 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2012 at 16:22:12 #836602

Anyone?

Annika
    7125 posts
    9 July 2012 at 6:30:56 #836603

Hi K2AK2A, and welcome to the forum. Don’t worry, all questions will be answered within a few days. Great that you live in Zurich and get to spend a week in Bettmeralp! It’s a beautiful region with lots of hiking options. I think you should focus on the marked paths near Bettmeralp, Bettmerhorn, Hoosfluh and Moosfluh, Fiescheralp and the Eggishorn. Those marked in yellow and red-white indicate general hiking roots without too much exposure, provided that you take along the right gear and use proper hiking boots. The map you linked to shows pretty much all such routes in this area, including a hiking route up to the Eggishorn. You can combine a couple of shorter routes to achieve a long hike each day. You will manage to work your way around in the area by taking a different starting point each day. If you’re not looking for rock climbing, avoid routes marked in blue and white: these are alpine routes.

There are several safe hikes that take you pretty close to the Aletsch glacier. Examples are Bettmerhorn-Märjelensee-Fiescheralp and Bettmeralp-Aletschwald-Riederalp. Tracks close to the Fiescher glacier run between the Eggishorn, Furggulti and Bellwald.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2012 at 7:47:35 #836604

Thanks Annika. Weather is not the best currently so I hope it won’t be more than few drops of rain when I am up there.

[quote]Annika said: Those marked in yellow and red-white indicate general hiking roots without too much exposure, provided that you take along the right gear and use proper hiking boots.[/quote]

I assume you mean dressed appropriately for outdoors rather than ropes and helmet 🙂
    I have Merrell Moab Mid GORE-TEX XCR Hiking Boots which I bought couple of weeks ago.

Annika
    7125 posts
    10 July 2012 at 6:40:42 #836605

Hi K2AK2A. Yes, that’s what I meant :-). It’s too bad that weather isn’t that good. Forecasts for next Monday and Tuesday are better though, but they’re not very reliable yet. Just check forecasts on a regular basis and limit your hikes to short and safe routes if there are chances of rain and especially fog and thunderstorms. I hope you’ll enjoy your holidays anyway!

• The thread ‘Hiking with Bettmeralp as base. Multiple questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.