Hiking with kids in Jungfrau/Haslital

• dorota
    Participant
    3 posts
    22 August 2014 at 9:37:20 #806594

We will be spending the next week in Bernese Alps and we are focused mostly on hiking. We have 2 kids aged 1.5 and 5 years old. Thanks to this website (which is great by the way!) I have chosen some relatively easy but spectatular trails for us in the Jungfrau region: e.g. Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, First to Bachsee, Grütschalp to Mürren (Mountain View Trail). However, since we are based in Hasliberg (we found a good accomadation deal there), could anyone recommend easy trails suitable for 5 year old feet in that region (our 1.5 years old will be in the backpack carrier, so she’s not limiting our hikes)?

Additionally, in the end of our stay, I thought it would be great to do a 2-day hike with a night spent in a hut. However, it is difficult for me to find a suitable trail wich would not be too long (approx. 15-18 km in total), without too much ascent and with a hut more less in the middle of it. I thought of First to Schynige Platte but I don’t know if it’s doable with such small kids. Any suggestions for such a hike in Jungfrau Region or Hasliber would be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2014 at 14:35:39 #840887

Hello Dorota some ideas can be found on Haslital website. http://www.haslital.ch/en. Click on Brochures and read a) summer guide and b) Muggestutz – the latter will particularly please your 5 year old! The brochure is in 3 languages and shows several ideas for walks. There is also the walk through the Aareschlucht which would be suitable and the sculpture trail at Axalp. For a dull day when you would not get good views on a mountain trail there is the open air museum at Ballenberg. Hope you enjoy your stay. Maggie

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    23 August 2014 at 12:44:16 #840888

Hello dorota,

All Maggie says is very true. And maybe I can add something from our own experiences. We hiked the trails you mention in your post. Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg is certainly doable with a five year old and a one and a half year old on your back. The same goes for First-Bachalpsee and Grütschalp-Mürren. All hiking tracks have great views and you take a pause whenever you feel like it. It’s a bit different for First-Schynige Platte (or the other way around). It’s not really very hard, but with two children it might be. Your five year old must like hiking, and there are parts that are not so easy when you are carrying a child. We did these trails when our children were little – a bit older than your children though.

More information about hiking trails can be found here – you will also find information about First – Schynige Platte there.

I don’t know anything about huts, but perhaps someone else does.

Have a nice trip!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2014 at 12:37:30 #840889

Dorota,

You’ve made some great choices and will have a fabulous time. I’d suggest a couple of books for your children to give them a preview of Switzerland. Grammy Takes Logan to Switzerland and Grammy Takes Foster to Switzerland are available only at the iBookstore. Search by title. I’m so impressed you are taking young children to Switzerland. I wish more people would do this. Travel is a fabulous way to learn.

dorota
    Participant
    3 posts
    26 August 2014 at 19:37:54 #840890

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Maggiehorswell – thank you for the tip about Muggestutz. It is really a highlight for a 5-year-old!

Olga- I understand from your post that First-Schynige Platte would be doable for us. How old were your kids when you did that? Our older son is rather keen on hiking, especially when he is promised some treat in the end as a reward and my husband who is carrying a smaller one is really used to it, so it’s not a big problem for him. I think we’ll consider doing this trail,but everything depends on the weather.

Dorota

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    26 August 2014 at 20:14:12 #840891

Hi Dorota,

I think they were six and eight when we did First-Schynige Platte. It was quite something for them, although they loved hiking (and still do). We’ve done the trail more than once, also the other way around. If weather is good and your son likes to hike, it should be doable. I don’t know how it feels with a child on your back, but if you’re in good shape it should be okay. Mind that there is some climbing and descending, but not all too difficult. It’s quite a hike though, our children were always proud that they made it (and so were we…).

Apart from this: it’s one of the greatest and most fantastic hikes we know. Around every corner is a different landscape. It’s really breathtaking!

Have fun,

Olga

• The thread ‘Hiking with kids in Jungfrau/Haslital’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.