Holiday in Zermatt Sept 2015

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2015 at 15:19:18 #806784

Hello, I’m travelling to Zermatt with 5 others (all adults) in September 2015. We fly to Geneva and intend to do lots of hiking while we are there. I am bewildered by all the travel options, please can someone help?! We need train travel from Geneva – Zermatt (returning a week later) and would like to use the cable cars every day while we are there.The Transfer Ticket Combi looks good, it includes the return train journey and 50% off some cable car rides but I have also seen the Transfer Ticket which is transfer only and then there is a Peak Pass available that gives access to all the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise journeys. Which would be the cheapest option for us, or is their a better option? Thank you in anticipation.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2015 at 16:51:34 #841473

The Geneva Zermatt train runs on a regular schedule. You’ll have to calculate train fare and cable car fare to determine if it’s best to buy some combo or not. How else to know unless you compare? I spent 3 weeks in Switzerland in August 2012 hiking, including Zermatt. The options are endless. The Rick Steves book can help you make train and cable car price comparisons. If you are up for the glacier crossing, the new Monte Rosa Hut is worth the trip, but it’s a strenuous hike. Last train to get to town was 7PM fyi.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 January 2015 at 14:29:21 #841474

Hi Carolyn,

Indeed, there are two options that make sense:

Like 0321recon says, you need to calculate in order to know which one of best. First you need to list all the trips you think you’ll be doing, then you can compare as explained here. In short: option 1 is best if you don’t know your plans in advance or if it’s short trips you’ve planned (not all the way to the peak each time). Option 2 is best for extensive use of the cable cars.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2015 at 9:07:29 #841475

That’s a great help, thank you very much.

• The thread ‘Holiday in Zermatt Sept 2015’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.