Hotel built next to booked chalet in Grindelwald

• GoGiantsfan
    Participant
    52 posts
    4 February 2020 at 13:45:46 #825098

I just booked an air bnb in Grindelwald and got a note saying there was a new hotel going up behind the chalet but the gross building should be up by the time we get there. Our group is trying to decide if we should look for another air bnb. Anyone been in Grindelwald lately I was wondering if this hotel has started. We are not going to September.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2020 at 18:15:04 #929382

Hello GoGiantsfan,

I unfortunately haven’t been to Grindelwald in the last few weeks and thus can’t judge from personal experience. Sorry.

If you can provide some more input about the location of your accommodation I could try to find out more details. Have you tried google earth?! Could also give you some input.

Generally I would say, if the main building is already built, you should be fine, as this causes the main noise. Working times for craftsmen in Switzerland are normally from 7ish am to 5iss pm, so if it’s not literal “building” work it shouldn’t influence you too much. But that’s just my judgement.

See our general thoughts about AirBnB as well as hotel and rental recommendations for Grindelwald in below links:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/accommodation/airbnb
    http://www.myswissalps.com/grindelwald/hotels
    http://www.myswissalps.com/grindelwald/rentals

Best,
    Steph

GoGiantsfan
    Participant
    52 posts
    4 February 2020 at 18:42:28 #929383

Thanks Steph..

Its called Chalet Amber and seems to sit directly behind Hotel Grindelwalderhof .

Karen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2020 at 13:12:32 #929384

Hi Karen,

Sorry to hear that.

I haven’t been to Grindelwald lately, but if I would be you, probably I would book an other apartment. This is my personal opinion. I tried to Google it but I couldn’t find any relevant information. Do the windows open to the construction?

You could try to contact the hotel to ask them.

For other rentals use the link, Steph gave you.

Ildiko

GoGiantsfan
    Participant
    52 posts
    5 February 2020 at 17:17:53 #929385

HI,

I was told view is not obstructed. It is being build behind the chalet. I tried to find other rentals been looking for months. This one fits the bill with the location and a bit more higher end. He said the noise should not be a problem by then. I have until July to cancel. I know how projects go and even if he says that the whole building should be up by then it could not be the case. I was just wondering if they have even started the hotel yet. Thanks..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2020 at 19:25:21 #929386

No, unfortunately no personal experiences regarding that hotel. Hopefully another forum member has more experiences there.

My advice is, if you booked your accommodation via Airbnb, make sure to write everything down and do not use other communication modes so if you want to complain (I hope you do not have to) then you have a kind of evidence to show to Airbnb.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Hotel built next to booked chalet in Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.