Zermatt hotel cancellation insurance

• Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    4 August 2010 at 7:16:56 #803938

I have been reluctant to make hotel reservations in Zermatt, because of the cancellation policy . We would still have to pay for the room if we cancel. Yet several places say we can get insurance for 3.5% which would cost approximately CHF35. Where would we get that? Our regular travel insurance only covers prepaid costs.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 August 2010 at 9:42:27 #831641

I’ve experienced a Swiss hotel cancellation recently. I booked for 2 nights but had to cancel less than 24 hours before arrival due to illness. They charged 1 night, which I find quite reasonable. My standard travel insurance covered these costs. I just had to sent them the booking and cancellation confirmation of the hotel. I think you should ask your insurance company what happens in your scenario. May be you should just pay the hotel in advance if that’s required for your insurance. I don’t know about the 3.5% insurance rate.

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    4 August 2010 at 10:30:32 #831642

I agree one night’s cost would be reasonable, but we would lose 50%-100%- 2 nights for 2 rooms. Of course I understand the need for that, but it’s a lot. ALso, if I add it to my travel insurance it would cost me more than a couple hundred dollars for the 5 people. 🙁

• The thread ‘Zermatt hotel cancellation insurance’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.