Hotels along Alpine Pass Route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2013 at 10:16:11 #805754

I am in the early stages of planning to hike some sections of the Alpine Pass Route. I have a good idea on which sections I want to hike but looking at some of the accommodations it seems like most hotels I am seeing have double beds (one bed) and not any/many options for two beds. I am putting together a small group of guys and sleeping in one bed is not an option. It would be great to get a room with two single or double beds, plus a shower/bathtub. We prefer not to stay in hostels or dorm rooms, so other than staying in single rooms are there any options for us. Also, I did find a few “family” rooms with more than one bed but the price gets up there pretty quickly. Thanks

It looks like our first night will be in Fluelen area.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    15 January 2013 at 10:31:47 #837925

Did the whole route a couple years ago. If you tell me which sections you plan to do I may be able to make specific recommendations.

A “double bed” in Switzerland (especially in smaller villages) is almost always 2 twins pushed together that can be separated. You may want to contact the hotels you have found directly and ask about this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2013 at 15:29:52 #837926

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your reply. In looking over some of the previous posts I was glad to see someone from US replying to posts. Your insight has been a great help already. If you would like to take this off-line please feel free to email me directly at [email protected]

Here is a planned itinerary – if I need to save a couple of days I can just start at Fluelen area:

Day 1 – Linthal to Klausenpass
    Day 2 – Klausenpass to Fluelen area (Altdorf)
    Day 3 – Bus to Attinghausen and cable car to Brusti then hike to Engleberg
    Day 4 – Engleberg to Engstlenalp
    Day 5 – Engstlenalp to Meirigen
    Day 6 – Meiringen to Grindelwald
    Day 7 – Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen
    Day 8 – Rest day to day hike (Open to suggestions)
    Day 9 – Lauterbrunnen to Murren
    Day 10 – Murren to Griesalp
    Day 11 – Griesalp to Oeschinensee
    Day 12 – Oeschinensee to Adelboden

Very glad to hear that the beds move apart – that takes care of that issue.

Thanks for your time and suggestions. We will most likely do this trip in September 2014, so I am a bit ahead of the curve. Also I am an experienced backpacker having done JMT and a bunch of week long trips throughout the Rockies, with a few 14ers thrown in.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    15 January 2013 at 20:48:43 #837927

Got it, thanks. Traveling right now with intermittent internet access. Will get back to you in the next few days via email.

Quick feedback: Good choices, you are hitting most of the high (as in best) points of the APR. But you may want to build in at least one more rest day. Our algorithm was 4 days on, 1 day off. Took 21 days for route from Austrian border to Montreux (we deviated a bit, spending 4 days in Wengen doing our favorite day hikes rather than repeat APR routes we had done many times) and that was perfect. But there’s nothing like the 14ers in Switzerland (too far north) so you will be good!

Do it in early September, not second half, or you could run into weather. And it can be darn cold over Klausenpass, Sefinenfürgge, and Höhturli any time of year if you get a rainy or foggy day. Have had white out conditions on latter in late August/early September, yikes!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    20 January 2013 at 17:01:40 #837928

Hi Larry,

Just sent you a lengthy email, send me a private message if you don’t receive

• The thread ‘Hotels along Alpine Pass Route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.