Is the BO regional pass valid for my dates of trav

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2015 at 20:05:12 #806872

Hello all!

My family and I, which includes my parents, my sister and I, are travelling to Switzerland in April-May 2015 (30th April-5th May) and are focusing on the Jungfrau region in terms of sightseeing. We will be arriving at Lucerne by train from Austria on 30th April, and continuing to Grindelwald, where we are staying for the duration of our trip. I am hoping that, Lucerne onwards, we will be able to take advantage of the 6-day Bernese Oberland Regional Pass for all our travelling.

I have 2 questions regarding the pass-

1) The website http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/offer-2015/ states that the offer is valid from May to October 2015. We are reaching on April 30th and want to use the pass for the Lucerne-Interlaken-Grindelwald part of our journey that day. Will the pass work on April 30th or do we have to purchase point-to-point tickets? (Since it is only a day before the validity, I am hoping the pass can be used with April 30th itself as our first day of travel!)

2) Just to be prudent, I want to purchase the passes online and have them delivered to our address in India. What is a safe time bracket to order them, given our dates of travel? I don’t want to order too late!

Thank you in advance for your advice. We are very excited about our Swiss trip and want to ensure that everything goes perfectly! 🙂

Regards,

Devika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 February 2015 at 9:08:12 #841720

Hello Devika,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! As for your questions:

1) The pass will only work from May 1. You could spend the night in Lucerne, which is a wonderful town, and travel to Grindelwald using the pass the next day.

2) Purchase options are listed here. The Swiss Railways webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com offers them online. You can order them now if you want, and they will make sure you receive them in time. You should order one week in advance at the latest, as the pass can’t be printed at home, it has to be shipped. You can also have the pass shipped to your hotel in Lucerne. That’s cheaper than shipping to India. Note that the website does not show prices on the first page. Just click “Buy now” to proceed and see the prices.

Kind regards,

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2015 at 18:28:12 #841721

Hello Arno,

Thanks a lot for your reply! Unfortunately, we have already booked our accommodation in Grindelwald from April 30th onward which cannot be cancelled, so I guess we are stuck. 🙁 Will the pass be available at Grindelwald station? We could buy it as soon as we get there on April 30th.

Kind regards,

Devika

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 February 2015 at 11:51:26 #841722

Hi Devika,

You can purchase the pass at the station in Grindelwald during opening hours (I think the service desk closed in the evening) or have it delivered to your hotel in Grindelwald by ordering online as explained in my previous post.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2015 at 21:10:02 #841723

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your reply!

I actually ended up sending an email to the Interlaken West ReiseZentrum id about the dates and received this reply-

“Thank you for asking us about the Bernese Oberland Regional Pass. You can buy the pass at the railway station of Luzern already on the April 30th 2015. The validation of the pass starts already on April 26th 2015, so you will be able to travel with this pass on April 30th. With kind regards…”

Just thought I would post it here for anyone else who might be travelling around then and wants to use the pass. 🙂

Thanks for all your help!

Regards,

Devika

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 February 2015 at 6:53:22 #841724

Hi Devika,

You are so right! It’s weird as all the online information says differently, but I verified and indeed this year it can be used from April 25 (not 26), probably because that’s a Saturday. Sorry for not informing you about that before. I have adjusted our pass page with the exact dates.

Thanks a lot, have a wonderful stay!

• The thread ‘Is the BO regional pass valid for my dates of trav’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.