How beautiful is Gimmelwald, near Schilthorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 15:39:41 #817196

Firstly it is car free and resorts free alpine village, that means, if you fancy staying here, cozy B&Bs and local run guesthouses are the only options. Certainly, these factors lead fewer tourists here, making your visit extra special. Imagine how would it feel to have alpine views like that all to yourself with an intermittent sound of cowbells tingling! You are already envisioning it all, don’t you?

Green alpine meadows, flowers peeping out from old swiss chalets, pure white Alps contrasting this scene…oh! my my… so many reasons to be at Gimmelwald. I did not hike much, after a short stroll around the village, I was happy to retrace the path. Even if you don’t want to hike, just stop by Gimmelwald, to have a flavor of local life in the alpine villages of Switzerland. Try local cheese, spot a locals washing all their vegetables under the alpine water from wooden taps or puddles on the street. Drink that purest water directly from Swiss Alps and knock a point off your bucket list! (I had this on the bucket list, did you?)

Read more at shwechan.com/gimmelwal d_switzerland/

Practical information about Gimmelwald, Switzerland:

Access: Cable car from Stechelberg to Gimmelwald (Stechelberg is 10 min bus ride from the town of Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland)

How to move further from Gimmelwald: you can either come back the same way you reached Gimmelwald, or you go further up to another alpine village of Mürren via cable car from Gimmelwald. Mürren is also a delight to walk through. After exploring Mürren you can come back to Lauterbrunnen via Grütschalp. This way -you climb by one route and come back by another, having different views on each trip!

What to buy in Gimmelwald: Homemade Alpine cheese directly from homes, Freshly squeezed cow milk, Souvenir from self-operated- seller-less shops.

Official website of Gimmelwald

Prices for cable cars to Gimmelwald

**My tip**– All Swiss pass holders can travel free up to Gimmelwald (also Mürren and Schilthorn) and back!! The route that I have just suggested above, has some breathtaking views of many mountains around including Jungfrau, Mönch, Eiger, and Schilthorn.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 18:21:09 #891003

Thanks for the post shwchan and welcome to MySwissAlps!

While quite small, it is a lovely town to be sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 5:22:38 #891004

shwchan is bang on. Besides, Gimmelwald is where you have the Honesty Shop. No shopkeeper, just pay, take a photo outside with the “I am an Honesty Shop shopper’ placard, and leave 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2018 at 14:14:35 #891005

Yayy! Glad you liked it…and yes you are absolutely right!! I enjoyed honesty shop and the entire concept!! I was totally impressed. I did record all that stuff you said about honesty shop on my Vlog- Have a look if I did it differently 🙂

youtu.be/W_RmVLg6BJk

ENJOy!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2018 at 14:17:02 #891006

Was such a lovely place, I wonder why It is not Insanely popular!! Well, I got to enjoy the perks of fewer crowds, that’s the positive side of it. I have a video story from my wonderful experience, Have a look!

youtu.be/W_RmVLg6BJk

thanks and enjoy!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2018 at 16:24:11 #891007

It is indeed a lovely village to walk through – thanks for sharing the video!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2018 at 20:34:46 #891008

We have been travelling to Switzerland for yeas now but last year (2017) was first time we went to Gimmelwald and we also loved it. For all the same reasons – beautiful views, hardly any one about, honesty shop, tasty soup or meat/cheese platter in the inn – what’s not to love?

So many posters on here seem to have said “don’t bother with Gimmelwald – there’s not much there!” Actually that was partly the point – plenty there just not too many people! So we are pleased to have found another fan! Indeed we will probably go back now we have found it!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2018 at 11:26:26 #891009

Ohh reallly people have said this?? omg!!

send this to them and ask what’s not here??

youtu.be/O8p97vaDKIc

It´s best of the Switzerland!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2018 at 13:20:16 #891010

I think it is a nice little town for sure! I think I’ve heard people (and me sometimes) not recommend it as a place to stay though – a bit small. 🙂

Visiting is a great idea for sure!

• The thread ‘How beautiful is Gimmelwald, near Schilthorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.