How cold does it get at Zermatt Glacier Paradise?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2017 at 3:38:44 #813149

I am not accustomed to cold weather but am very excited to be going to Zermatt mid September.

We plan on visiting the Glacier Paradise and would like to know how cold it gets and whether we need serious ski gear or can we make do with warm jumpers and jackets.

Can you actually hire ski clothing in Zermatt?

I would appreciate any assistance here.

thanks

BEACHGIRL.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 September 2017 at 13:34:33 #869333

Hi Beachgirl, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, your user name says it all 🙂 If you dress in multiple thinners layers, plus sunglasses, gloves and solid shoes, it will be fine for a regular visit. A scarf would be comfortable too. During the day it will probably be between -10 and +5 °C. If you plan lots of snow activities then you need waterproof clothing, e.g. ski gear.

Everything you need for skiing is for rent in Zermatt. Mid September is not a good time to ski though. Experienced skiers can ski in thin air, high on the glacier, particularly in the morning. For an actual ski experience you’d best come in winter.

Have fun at Klein Matterhorn (Glacier Paradise)!

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    3 September 2017 at 6:25:28 #869334

Pardon me for crashing on this thread. We will be visiting Gornagrat and possibly Glacier Paradise in end Feb. If Sep is -10 and +5, may I know what temperatures to expect in end Feb? We don’t plan to ski but just to enjoy the scenery. Thank you.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 September 2017 at 6:44:19 #869335

Hi Uallin,

I would expect -10 °C or less in February. -20 °C would be possible as well! Whether this feels extremely cold, doable or even pleasant depends mostly on sunshine and wind.

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    3 September 2017 at 8:18:26 #869336

Wow! That will be really cold. We are from the tropics so we will need to invest on a good down then. Thanks, Arno!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 6:41:06 #869337

Thank you so much for the information Arno.

I am sure I can cope with those conditions.

Glad I am doing September and not February!!

Regards

Beachgirl.

• The thread ‘How cold does it get at Zermatt Glacier Paradise?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.