How many bags can we keep near us Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 22:13:50 #814634

I apologize in advance if this information is obvious. We are trying to determine if we are going to bring our luggage with us on the Glacier Express or send it ahead using a baggage service. If we can keep our bags with us (as we did last weekend on an Amtrak trip) we will do that. But if they must be stored out of sight then we will probably try and make arrangements to send ahead.

I have looked for the exact dimension and weight limits and can’t find it.

Any help (and personal experiences) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Wendy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 March 2018 at 22:26:43 #877843

You will have no problem in 1st Class. My wife and I travelled on the GEX last year with two backpacks and two suit cases. Boarding at St Moritz you will easily be able to stow your luggage at either end of your carriage. If you can carry it on a plane you can easily you can easily take on GEX.

There are no overhead racks but backpacks fit easily under seats.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 22:39:35 #877844

On TripAdvisor there was a discussion about baggage on Swiss trains and even locals were suggesting locking bags because there is organized theft that grabs them off of the end storage at busy stations.

But I’m assuming that in 1st Class that would not be an issue?

You are very kind to take time to help newbies!

Wendy

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 March 2018 at 23:53:45 #877845

Hi Wendy,

We travelled around Switzerland and part of Germany by train for almost 4 weeks and took our bags with us everywhere. No problems keeping them in sight most of the time. Never saw a suitcase locked to the furniture.

On the GEX our suitcases where not in clear view from our seats but that train is particularly secure. Everyoen on board needs a reservation, there are only a few stops and the train is crawling with staff. You’ll e fine.

pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    6 March 2018 at 12:39:56 #877846

On my recent trip, I brought several extra locks and some wire gizmos that you run through the luggage handle and around a pole, handle, or whatever then lock. My son and I ended up never using these. I usually had a visual on the luggage in the the luggage area (backpacks were always with us). Had no problems.

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    6 March 2018 at 14:42:54 #877847

We traveled in first class last year and had no problem with our luggage. We didn’t notice any “extra” people around the train cars at busy stations, but if you are carrying valuables, keep them in a carry on at your seat. We also used local trains and didn’t have any issues.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 March 2018 at 16:09:25 #877848

Hi Wendy,

You need to keep an eye at your luggage at stations all over Europe. In trains, one of the tricks thieves use is that one distracts a passenger and another one grabs the luggage. This happens in Switzerland too, but it is still rare. Just apply the normal travel rules: never leave luggage unattended, don’t put a wallet in your back pocket, etc. I never had an issue in Switzerland.

Enjoy the ride!

• The thread ‘How many bags can we keep near us Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.