How much are the activities on Mt Pilatus?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2015 at 20:22:32 #808087

Hey guys!

So I’ll be traveling to Lucerne and Mount Pilatus in July 2016.

My first question is, this “Golden Round Trip”, I realise it is a one-day pass, but can we descend after spending a few hours atop of the mountain, or do we only have a certain amount of time after we arrive?

Secondly, I cannot find prices for the activities atop the mountain. I would like to go on the toboggans and the rope course, as well as walk along the Flower and Dragon paths. Can you tell me how much these activities will be? (I will be classed as an Adult)

Also, can you recommend a good hotel to stay in? We (my boyfriend and myself) are considering the Summit Dreams option, which includes one night stay in the Pilatus-Kulm Hotel, a 4 course dinner, and buffet breakfast for CHF 235 each. Also includes ascent and descent. Would it be worth staying in this fancy hotel? Or staying somewhere cheaper in Lucerne and paying for the ascent/descent separately?

http://www.pilatus.ch/webauto r-data/49/Gipfeltraeume-2016_en.pdf

Cheers for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Natalya

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 November 2015 at 6:19:53 #846829

Hi Natalya,

Thanks for your post! You can stay at the top as long as you want. The toboggan run (CHF 8) and rope park (CHF 28) are not at the top, but near the mid station Fräkmüntegg. The activities at the top are free; I don’t know any that require a payment, apart from the hotel and restaurant of course.

The price for the hotel package is pretty good I think. I would say it’s worth it if the weather is good so you can enjoy the view. But you won’t know for sure until you’re there. So there’s a bit of a risk, but it’s for sure very special to stay on the top of a mountain.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 November 2015 at 7:08:05 #846830

Hi Natalya –

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a partial answer.

RT second class to Pilatus Kulm from Luzern is 82.40CHF via boat to Alpnachstatd and cog-railway. With a half fare card, 41.20 CHF First class is only a few CHF more, because the cograil train up the mountain has only one class, and it is most of the cost of the trip.

The other route is from Kriens,via cable car, with change of car at Fräkmüntegg. Very similar pricing. 40 CHF with half fare card.

A half fare card is good on almost all Swiss transport for a month and costs about 100 Euros or, via SBB, 120 CHF.

A very nice hotel in Luzern, on the river, with good views is the Hotel des Alpes. Very pleasant rooms. I pick it only because i know it, having stayed there a few times. 210 CHF per night in July for a double room. Nice views, ordinary kitchen. I eat elsewhere. Cheaper rooms are available, but July is a tourist season and prices are high.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/hotels

The Palace is probably the best hotel in Luzern, and priced accordingly. Usually the best kitchen in Luzern.

It is hard to give a price for a 4 course meal, but 40 or 50 CHF is a reasonable price for a pleasant meal at a nice restaurant with no alcoholic beverages. You can spend a lot more, and a spaghetti dinner is considerably cheaper.

It has been years since i was up on Pilatus. At that time, once you were up there, you could walk around on the limited paths for no additional charge.

Here is the link for information from this website:

http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

I don’t know what is meant by hiking trails. That is very mountainous terrain..

The toboggan ride is at Fräkmüntegg, a lower peak nearby, accessible by cable car, and a transfer point on the way up or down from Kriens.

8 CHF per ride on the toboggan. Good map image on this website:

http://www.pilatus.ch/en/pila tus-active/summer/fun-action/summer-toboggan-run/prices-conditions/

The views from Pilatus disappear on cloudy days or nights.

Some people have difficulty sleeping at high altitude for the first night or few nights, although 2100 meters is not really very high. However, the altitude is noticeable. If you were to do strenuous walking uphill you would be likely short of breath until you were acclimated.

Last cograil down is at 1845; last cable car down at 1845.

Hope this helps.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘How much are the activities on Mt Pilatus?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.