Wrong passport ID on my Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2018 at 17:45:00 #818904

Hi mySwissAlps,

I purchased a 4-day Swiss travel pass from HappyRail.com a couple of days ago and i just realized 1 digit of my passport ID is incorrect (all the rest of my info are correct). Tried contacting them to check if it is possible to amend but was told that i will need to cancel the pass against a 15% cancellation fee and then book a new pass. Or i can travel with my current pass and explain the situation to the train conductor.

So i would like to check, how strict will the conductor be with regard to my situation?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 November 2018 at 17:57:16 #898876

Hi Yxali, welcome to MySwissAlps,

That’s unfortunate! The 15% fee is standard policy wherever you buy the pass. It’s what’s charged by the Swiss railways. Now, officially your Swiss Travel Pass is invalid, because you need a matching passport. Whether the train staff will fine you for that I don’t know. It probably depends on the person. They won’t check your passport each time; they do it from time to time.

I would probably exchange the pass to be sure. Alternatively you could go to a staffed train station in Switzerland, and ask at the ticket desk. Then decide based on what they say. You’d best do this before the start date on the pass, if possible.

Sorry I can’t be more specific: officially it’s a problem, but you can try and see what happens.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2018 at 9:16:39 #898877

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your advice. I will probably have it amended and pay the 15% cancellation fee just to be sure.

• The thread ‘Wrong passport ID on my Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.